+2 fuel vent

PostPost by: Fubar » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:48 pm

The bung in the filler neck is to prevent fuel leaking out over the rear wing, which seems to affect some cars more than others.

Nothing to do with venting..
Fubar
New-tral

PostPost by: rdssdi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:03 pm

As I understand it, the "crossover" vent hoses are to prevent fuel leaking in the event of a rollover and any position the car may end up in.

I would like to replace the tank and vent system in my +2 without eliminating this safety feature. Reducing or eliminating the fuel smell would be the major reason for the modification.

The mods from the Lotus Club, as described here, eliminate one crossover pipe by combining both vents into one and running a small tube inside one original pipe. It appears that the roll over feature is now defeated. The "low side" vent could send fuel through the "T" and into the one vent line. As well as the new smaaller hose remains in the same position.

A new filler neck used as a vent with an integral check valve (bung?) along with a "roll over" (air "IN" only) check valve at the original vent might function and retain the safety factor as original.

This is an interesting problem.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:06 pm

I realize this thread is about the +2 fuel venting and wanting to eliminate the smell of petrol inside the car and in the garage.
I have a mild concern of a petrol smell in the garage from my Sprint which I would like to address.
From what has been said so far, can any of the comments be related to my Sprint, or is the +2 much different?

Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint)
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:04 pm

A comment on the spyder method of venting into the filler.
As mentioned earlier, this will solve the venting problem during petrol filling. My guess is that during running, when air needs to enter the tank to replace the fuel being used, the system relies on the filler cap not being air tight. Trouble is that this leads to a leaky system that dribbles down the wing.
On my +2 (original breather system) the filler cap is pretty airtight as I discovered when I mistakenly left one cork in leading to the the car cuting out on long left handers when the tank was more than 1/2 full.
Pulled the cork (after spending a month checking everything else) and all back to normal.
Cheers
tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:12 pm

My filler neck has never been air tight, I lose lots of fuel on a right hand turn. I rang PM about getting another seal but they said they only sell the complete cap :cry: As all the new chromed items I have bought have pitted within 6 months I am keen to keep the old one and get a new seal.

Does anyone know where I can get a new seal?

Thanks

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:16 pm

I bought a new seal for my old car (about 7 years ago mind) from Chris Neal. Worth a try to see if they still do them.
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rdssdi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:44 pm

It appears that the Spyder ssystem was ill concieved. If it does rely upon a leaky filler cap gasket to function.

I will look into how modern sealed ssysteems function. I will see if an alternate remote filler neck would function in this application.

Bob
rdssdi
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: