Fuel cut-off valve

PostPost by: Expat+2 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:09 am

I stumbled upon this section of my workshop manual (Section L, page 73) about installing a fuel cut-off valve. Does anyone have one of these, or know where to get one? I assume it cuts the fuel to the carbs when the ignition is off.

In the past I've had problems with fuel syphoning out of the tank past the needle valves when parked with a full tank - really spoils your day :o . This seems like the perfect solution - at the moment I never fill my tank more than 2/3 full just in case.
Martin Hirst
1973 +2S 130
Expat+2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Hi Martin / All,

Most people only use a cut off valve (which is an electrical tilt switch) with an electric pump. In the event off a accident it will 'trip' and shut off the electric pump. Obviously a V good idea. Local breakers yard is where I found one. Came out of a Ford Fiesta.

Fuel should not be bypassing your needle valves. A 'shut off valve' should not be required. What I think you are talking about would be some kind of solinoid valve which opens and closes with the ign' switch? Basically a 'lecy fuel tap.

This might be a Lotus solution to the problem you have, but I have never seen one fitted... As yet!

Had your carbs rebuilt lately? I would try that 1st. :wink:

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Expat+2 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:03 pm

What I think you are talking about would be some kind of solinoid valve which opens and closes with the ign' switch? Basically a 'lecy fuel tap.

Here's the page from the manual:
page 73.JPG and

The thing about the +2 is that the tank is partly above the level of the carbs. So a full tank will want to empty itself past the needle valves when parked, and if they're not in perfect condition you get petrol dripping from the airbox. (at least that's what happened to my car!)

New Viton needles and carefully setting up the floats seems to have cured the problem for the moment, but the cut-off valve would make sure

This might be a Lotus solution to the problem you have, but I have never seen one fitted... As yet!

That was what I was thinking. Anybody else ever seen one?
Martin Hirst
1973 +2S 130
Expat+2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Martin,

In reply to your question the elite/eclat had a electronic fuel cut off valve fitted as standard. This will go in the main fuel line between the tank and carbs. Wiring is simple, live and earth. Hope this helps.

Phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Good to hear the problem is (at the moment) solved. I had two +2's and never had that problem. I understand the issue with the tank height etc. Leaky carb valves will flood. You seem to have fixed it. Leave it and see how it goes now.

Good luck with it.

Have fun...... 8)

Alex B....
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ebc699 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi Martin/Alex,
I have had a similar thing happen when my Plus 2 was sitting with a full (ish) tank. In this case most of the fuel found it's way into the sump rather than the airbox. Immediately on starting I noticed the oil pressure was about 10 lbs down so shut off to investigate.
Changed oil and filter with no apparent ill effects, but the oil /fuel mix as drained sure was volatile.....as proven when I put it on a pile of rubbish and threw a match at it!
Moral? As Alex says, check/replace the needle valves and seats.
Cheers,
Wylie
ebc699
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:59 pm

Carefull with the old petrol boys. Throwing matches (most of the time you dont get as far as throwing it!!!) can result in time travel. I.E. Blowing ones' self into the middle of next week. Just a word of warning whilst on the subject. I know I will be teaching granny to suck eggs but it is worth repeating. Matches and petrol do not mix. What you get is an EXPLOSION. Nothing less.

For god's sake do not strike a match anywhere near petrol. You will only do it once. :shock: :shock: :shock:

A true story..

Workmate of mine. Long time ago. He used to collect the 'sensitive' litter from our office and place it in the incinerator to dispose of. He was instructed to use a small amount of diesel oil to help it along and save some time. One morning he had a fair load of paper to burn and he asked me for the key to our petrol pump.I asked him what he wanted it for and when he told me I told him why he must not do this. He did not listen. He walked off bristling with arrogance at having been told 'what to do'. He waited till someone was using the pump and filled a paint can with petrol..The bomb was ticking. :shock: I was walking across our car park when I just caught sight of the guy walking up towards the burner and away from the petrol pump area. Putting 2+2 together, I realized that he had a can full of petrol!!! I took to my heels and made it to the burner just in time to see him standing leaning over the open end of the burner/incinerator, match box in hand. I approached no closer! Shouting at him now, I told him not to light (or try to light) the stove. Would he listen? Nope! Well... The bang was heard for miles.The paperwork (sensitive stuff!) was floating down from its trip to the heavens all over the place, most of it alight. My hair was singed, and I had a slight flash burn. I was approx 25 mtrs away!. He was leaning over the bloody bomb!! When I had recovered and back on my feet I could not find him. In a bit of a panic I was running around looking for him like a mad thing. No sign! Thinking I had a fatality on my hands, I ran like blazes (no pun!) to raise the alarm. Then I found him. He had covered about 50 yards (most of it airborne) and landed at a doorway to one of our workshops, into which he bolted and spread himself along the wall. Holding on tight. He spent 2 days in hospital with a few bruises and no hair or eyebrows etc. Lost most of the skin from his face also.

I wound the bugger up for weeks afterwards. Everytime he walked past or I saw him, I asked if he had a match etc. Or just said... BOOM!
kept it up for ages untill he went berserk.... :lol: :lol: :lol: Thought I better pack it in then.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dont try this at home..

Alex B.... 8) Boom!!
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ebc699 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:59 pm

No argument with that Alex. It's not something that I make a habit of but a way of finding out the potential damage that could have been caused had the ignition source been beneath the pistons rather than on top! Instant sump removal I would say.
All the more reason to keep those valves in good shape.
Cheers,
Wylie
ebc699
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Expat+2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:21 am

In reply to your question the elite/eclat had a electronic fuel cut off valve fitted as standard. This will go in the main fuel line between the tank and carbs. Wiring is simple, live and earth. Hope this helps.

That's interesting. The Elite/Eclat also had a high tank and low carbs (Dellorto, I believe):

elite.JPG and

While the needle valves are in top condition they would seem to be up to the job, but there's a good chance that one will fail at some (probably inconvenient :) ) time and you'll find your car sitting in a puddle of petrol, or worse. Perhaps this only happens with Dellortos. I guess Lotus became more safety conscious during the seventies.

This looks like it would do the job:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anti-theft-Fuel-CUT-OFF-Solenoid-Valve-12v-3-5mm-dia_W0QQitemZ390038413742QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item390038413742&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

A bit expensive though!
Last edited by Expat+2 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Hirst
1973 +2S 130
Expat+2
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:03 am

Gross jets ( D & G valve manufacturing, 781 438-1789) use a large metal ball on top of the float to push up a smaller metal ball to seal off the fuel inlet. maybe investigate this before going to extreems. I used to have them in my stromberg equipped Elan and never had problems. My friend had a problem with them sticking with 4 year old gasoline in his Austin Healey BN2, no issue after draining the tank and putting in new fuel.

link to jag site for a description

http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0026.html

http://jimsgarage.wordpress.com/2006/09 ... grose-jet/

do a search on "Gross jet" carb on google if you want more info.
, its been 15 years since I bought them direct from the source in Stoneham, Massachusetts.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%2 ... tnG=Search
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:26 pm

I agree that the fuel will leak from a full tank if the float valve is not properly seated but it will leak a whole lot more with the fuel pump pressure behind it and this will cause the car to run very rich.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone

Here's what you're talking about

Andy
Attachments
101_2903s.jpg and
101_2902s.jpg and
andyelan