sheared carb mounting stud

PostPost by: 69S4 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:28 am

stugilmour wrote:I had one of the exhaust studs break off a while ago. Used a new product (at least to me at any rate) called "Loctite Freeze and Release". You spray it straight at the offending stud, and the freezing action helps break the bond on the threads.

http://loctitefreezeandrelease.com/

It must be similar to the stuff plumbers use to freeze pipes so they can dismantle heating systems without draining them. Seen it in loads of plumbers merchants over the last week while I've been rebuilding our central heating. Why do these things never go wrong in the summer :(
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:54 pm

I have just finshed dismantling a Lotus 912 engine that had lots of siezed bolts in it that sheared as I tried to remove. These engines have lots of small diameter 6mm bolts :evil: and this engine had a long life on english winter roads I think

A combination of drilling the remaining section of bolt, heating the surrounding alloy gently and spraying Loctite freeze and release into the hole drilled in the bolt at the same time and then an eziout got them all out without problems. But when using an eziout remember it does not have unlimited torque capability and keep working cycles of heat and chill until the bolt comes out with no risk of breaking the eziout.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dag-Navit » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks for the Loctite Freeze tip, sounds like a useful product. It will be a while before i report back on the outcome, i have decided to fit a roll bar with sill and footwell bars, so have delayed removal of the body until dryfit is complete etc, in the meantime constant applications of pen' oil.
Dag-Navit
New-tral

PostPost by: ppnelan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:54 pm

69S4 wrote:Seen it in loads of plumbers merchants over the last week while I've been rebuilding our central heating. Why do these things never go wrong in the summer :(
Because you don't use CH much in the summer? :wink:
Freeze spray is an invaluable thing to have 'in stock' - it has saved me from a plumbing disaster... :shock:

:arrow: Matthew
ppnelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: saildrive2001 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:21 pm

Chris,
Who makes the product that you suggested called Tap/out?
Keith Marshall
69 S4 SE DHC RHD Original owner
saildrive2001
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: