Mystery #1: Bonnet/Carb conflict

PostPost by: leifanten » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:49 am

Guys,
after putting new engine mounts on my 1968 +2, the bonnet (hood) hits the top of the front Stromberg a full 1.5 inches before engaging the locks. I compared the old worn out mount to the new one, and in an unloaded condition the distance looks identical to the new one in the car (clearly the old one was sagging by quite a bit). The front edge of the bonnet is flush with the body. I am scratching a hole in my head over this one and I am considering getting a second bonnet and making the bulge on that big enough to fit over the carbs unless I get advice on the forum how to fix it.

thanks
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 am

Hi, I suggest researching the archives here on this subject.
If I remember right, even though the motor mounts look very similar there is a right and left side difference, plus the upsidedown possibility.
The right side of your engine may be a tad high.
Did your new mounts, both left and right, look identical to the old (minus the tired rubber)?

Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 am

Weber headed cars had a Lotus special high lift engine mount of the RH side to raise the carb side up so the Webers did not hit the footwell.

I dont think the Stromberg carbs needed this and if you have the high lift RH mount fitted instead of a standard Ford mount you may have problems with the Carbs hitting the bonnet

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:15 am

I have researched the archives. Seems like a topic of some past consternation. My new engine mounts are identical to my old ones, and they are both the same. I put them in the fail safe way which seems to be the way to do it. I suspect, however, that the PO had the right side mounted up side down to allow the bonnet to close. Could it be that I have put in two weber mounts? How do I tell the difference between a weber "high" right mount and a stromberg and weber left "lower" mount?
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: leifanten » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:40 am

"Mystery" solved. It turns out the pair of mounts I bought consisted of one stromberg mount and one RH weber mount.

RD Enterprises has two great pix that show the difference. The Weber mount has the holes on the engine side in a higher position which can be seen in the "ears" that extends above the metal U for the top holes.

Thanks for helping me getting my brain in the right gear.
Leif
1968 +2 Wedgewood blue
Houston, TX
leifanten
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:12 am

I just remembered you have a Plus 2 also

Plus 2 whether Weber or Stromberg did not need a high lift right hand mount as the footwell was a different shape and location and Webers did not hit it with the standard Ford mount.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: