Choke Cable

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:19 pm

The CC in my S2 has broken off at the very end of the knob/shaft (the 8-10 cm rod behind the knob) and rather than source a new one, I want to try repairing it (just to see if I can do it).

I'm confused though about an apparent anomaly. The wire connected to the enrichment levers on the Webers is solid, as I would expect for a cable that must work in both directions (push/pull) like the heater valve cable. And the broken end is broken off cleanly. But the end projecting (barely) out of the shaft appears to be a braided wire.

Does this make any sense?
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:30 am

Yes, the choke cable is a braided wire. The choke levers on the carbs have spring loaded returns, so the choke cable is only required to pull, not push.
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:37 am

The choke cable on my Elans have always been coiled up behind the dash simply to prevent anyone from mistakingly pulling it out on start-up.

The first piece of advice given to me on collection of an S2 in the mid 60's was "NEVER USE THE CHOKE- THREE PUMPS ON THE LOUD PEDAL ONLY".

When I returned to the fold a few years ago I noticed the carbs were Dellorto and not Weber, when I asked is the start routrine the same I was told in loud words; "YES - NO CHOKE"

I guess the situation could be differenet for central Russia or Canada in mid winter, but in temporate climates - no choke seems still to be the order of the day.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Thanks for the replies! I'm not sure why the PO inserted a (non-functional) solid wire and connected it to the choke levers, but it's not the only strange glitch I've found.

And no, I don't use the choke for starting either, but it offends my sensibilities to have a non-functional control on the dash. That's just me, of course.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:06 pm

summerinmaine wrote:And no, I don't use the choke for starting either, but it offends my sensibilities to have a non-functional control on the dash. That's just me, of course.

I know of at least two people that use the "choke cable" as a bonnet release - using non-standard latches, of course.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcraven » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:36 pm

My Dellorto choke cable (which has been disconnected since before I acquired the car) is a solid wire at the carburettor end. I don't know what form it is at the knob end. I would not have thought any return spring on the carburettor would be strong enough to pull either a single or stranded wire back when the knob is released.
Obviously I never use the choke to start the car, and though I get the usual problems when the car hasn't been used for some time I'm not tempted to reconnect the choke because I assume the problem is lack of fuel in the carburettors rather than a need for a choke. Of course, Wilkins's book says you should use the choke with Dellortos as opposed to Webers.
Robert
rcraven
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 pm

rcraven wrote:My Dellorto choke cable (which has been disconnected since before I acquired the car) is a solid wire at the carburettor end. I don't know what form it is at the knob end. I would not have thought any return spring on the carburettor would be strong enough to pull either a single or stranded wire back when the knob is released.

The return springs wouldn't need to be that strong, nor would you want them to be. Just by releasing the knob, it should stay in place. But when you push the knob/shaft back in, the springs should keep the cable straight, rather than having it bunch up and not operate the levers.

It's like the old command expression "you can't push a rope."
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: