Cleaning the Carbs

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:10 pm

Since I've got the engine apart and the carbs off (Webers BTW), I thought that when I reassembled I would try to polish the outsides of the carbs and make them look all pretty. Short of taking them apart for a dip (and I don't want to do that, since they were in great tune), does anyone have a favorite technique for cleaning the outside surfaces? I'll pull off the airhorns and any easily removable stuff for a polishing, but I'd like to make the carb bodies shine a bit.

If you have a favorite spray on carb cleaner, please let me know.

Thanks.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:04 am

90 views and not one comment? Ah well, there's gotta be a spray-on degreaser or carb cleaner out there.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:36 am

1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilsjuke » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:17 am

Try bathroom mousse

Neil
neilsjuke
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kenny » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:55 am

Hiya, I think there are very few products available which will give super results especially with the carbs in situ. I've tried all the Halfords stuff plus thinners,acetone,autosol etc. etc. but nothing seems do do an easy job of it......or even make a difference.

I'd still strip the carbs if I were you seeing as they are off, although you say they were in great tune it's the balancing levers/adjusters in general that see to that.............those settings will be lost now anyway.

Strip them down completely....things can only go back the one way so it's no risk.

Degrease the carbs with a general degreaser then Jet wash them off.

I then used a chemical from a firm called Ardrox (basically a pickling paste), which although nasty stuff gets all the scarring and deep grained staining off bodies........just spray it on, agitate it and wash off.

Final step was then soapy,mildly abrasive household scourer with carbs in the sink :) ........came up like new.
A good blow through with compressed air and job was done.

Finish off any brightwork, nuts,bolts banjos by either having them plated or buy new from a guy who calls himself "fastroadcars" on Ebay, official weber dealer and a decent bloke...............I bought the refurb kits off him too..............I think he ships abroad but worth an ask.
A similar thread came up last year whilst I was doing a set of 45s and I posted a pic...................I'll re-post the same pic to see what you think.

Again, dont worry about the carbs going out of tune as they all ready are, stripping them will make no difference.
Cheers,
Kenny

kenny
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bruce Crowthorne » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 pm

If you strip the carbs (IMHO you should) then immerse them in cellulose thinners - it is sold as "gun cleaner" in any motor factor. I think I paid about a fiver for a two and a half litre can.
Just leave them in it for a day or so - cleans them up nicely.
Then I guess you just get out the Solvol Autosol .... if you want to practice on some, you can do mine ;-)
Bruce
Bruce Crowthorne
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:32 pm

Thanks guys! I didn't mean to sound petulant in my bump post.

Just FYI the carbs are off the manifold, but not separated, hence my thought to preserve the existing adjustments and settings. But if I can't get a satisfactory result without stripping the carbs, then that's what I'll do. I have a number of fairly fresh rebuild kits for renewing gaskets and seals, so it's just the time element. I'm getting antsy for some quality seat time.

BTW kenny, that set-up looks righteous!
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:36 pm

Yes, thanks.

Wonder why my search failed to locate that thread. May be the old "cultures-separated-by-a-common-language" thing. :D
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:41 pm

I just stripped my webers and reassembled with all new gaskets and washers in about 30 minutes each. If you don't dismantle them then I think you risk getting crap in the airways or jets and then you're in for more time to sort it out. The most timeconsuming thing was re-aligning the butterflies - I guess you could safely leave the butterflies and spindle (and internal return spring) in place but remove everything else for cleaning.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:16 pm

paddy wrote:I just stripped my webers and reassembled with all new gaskets and washers in about 30 minutes each. If you don't dismantle them then I think you risk getting crap in the airways or jets and then you're in for more time to sort it out. The most timeconsuming thing was re-aligning the butterflies - I guess you could safely leave the butterflies and spindle (and internal return spring) in place but remove everything else for cleaning.

Paddy

Thanks. I think I'll do just that.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mr.Gale » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:14 pm

I haven't tried it but this might work. http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
Why don't you try it and let us know? :-)

Mr.Gale
Mr.Gale
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Mr.Gale wrote:I haven't tried it but this might work. http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-t ... a_blaster/
Why don't you try it and let us know? :-)

Mr.Gale

Interesting! A number of my vintage bike buddies swear by soda blasting. It never occurred to me to use it for carbs.

Thanks.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: