Bodywork shape around fuel cap?

PostPost by: AHM » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:10 am

Due to a previous repair on my S4 FHC, the shape of the bodywork around the fuel filler cap has been destroyed, but under the glass and bodyfiller I have found evidence of previous detail - It is a bit like an archaeological dig and I've found half of a vase!

There is a hole for the filler tube - What diameter should it be?
there also appears to be a recessed/rebated ring around the hole - What is the diameter?
the recessed ring appears to be faired to the body shape at the front - is that correct? how far does the fairing extend forward?

Does anyone have a picture?... Please!

Thanks,

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:02 am

The "valley" that the petrol cap sits into is all around the cap .......not sure if you can make it out on the pics,
the diameter of the fuel pipe is about 58mm but I don't know the size of the hole in the body as it has the grommet in.
Attachments
SPRINT PET CAP 1.JPG and
SPRINT PET CAP 2.JPG and
SPRINT PET CAP 3.JPG and
SPRINT PET CAP 4.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:23 am

Simon

The hole diameter is 2.5 inches. I had never noticed before but there is also a dimple at the rear of the depression for the filler cap hinge.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:13 pm

I believe I got a new rubber gasket for the hole from Sue Miller for my Plus 2; looks like it uses a similar filler. The room for the hinge is critical or the cap has to be way proud of the glass to fit. The rubber filler elbow is 2 1/4"; might need wire jubilee clip to fasten as the clearance is a bit tight.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: