Cleaning the block and fuel tank

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:37 am

I've gotten the go-ahead to start re-assembling my project, so I'm replacing all the core plug as the final step before dropping the engine back in the chassis. Is there anything special I can or should do now, or as part of the initial running-in, to clean any residual corrosion out of the block? Each of the plugs in the head are showing a build up of gunk inside, but nothing looks particularly ugly. Once it's assembled, I'll do a regular radiator/block flushing, but I don't want to miss a trick while the engine is out of the chassis.

I'm also letting a dilute vinegar mix bathe the fuel tank over-night, to loosen any rust and scale. Then I'll bathe it with dilute baking soda, wash it thoroughly with water, dry it with a hair dryer, and splash it with upper cylinder lubricant before re-installing and adding fuel.

Anything I'm missing?

Thanks.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:45 am

Jim,
You can buy radiator flush that will clean and de-scale your block and radiator. It's formulated to clean out the scale and sludge and isn't very expensive - I would use it if you want to make sure your waterways are clear.

I've not checked but I suspect that the fuel tank is galvanised. If so, vinegar is not a good idea. I'm not sure how well it will remove rust anyway. Take out the fuel level sender unit and look at the inside of your tank - if it's not too rusty, dry it out and use an airline or vacuum to get rid of anything loose. If it is too rusty, use a proprietary tank sealer or replace it. I would also use an in-line fuel filter.

Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:44 pm

mikealdren wrote:Jim,
You can buy radiator flush that will clean and de-scale your block and radiator. It's formulated to clean out the scale and sludge and isn't very expensive - I would use it if you want to make sure your waterways are clear.

I've not checked but I suspect that the fuel tank is galvanised. If so, vinegar is not a good idea. I'm not sure how well it will remove rust anyway. Take out the fuel level sender unit and look at the inside of your tank - if it's not too rusty, dry it out and use an airline or vacuum to get rid of anything loose. If it is too rusty, use a proprietary tank sealer or replace it. I would also use an in-line fuel filter.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I just used dilute vinegar to take the rust off of some taps and it worked a treat (36 hours of soaking). I'm only doing the tank for 12 hours or so, so we'll see. The tank is basically in good shape, just picked up some (inner) surface rust from setting with no fuel.. I'll probably be replacing it with an aluminum tank that I have sitting on the shelf, but that's for the next round of tear-down/re-build.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: summerinmaine » Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:49 pm

I just went through the neutralization, and was pleased to see that most of the bottom inner surface of the tank (on the visible side of the tank baffle had lost the deposits/rust spots, and was fairly bright and shiny. I've pulled the tank level sender unit, and a new question or two arose that I'll post on a separate thread.
Jim

Temporarily Elan-less
summerinmaine
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: