wont return to idle - webers

PostPost by: mini64 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:29 am

Any ideas on why my car wont return to idle(stays around 2500), or when it does it takes 10 or so seconds? There is slack in my throttle cable and the throttle butterfly mechanism goes back to hit the stop. I'm thinking maybe my distributor mechanical advance is acting up (no vacuum advance)? Or a loose butterfly? I thought about the carb to inlet gaskets may be leaking, but then why does it not return to idle sometimes, while other times it does but takes forever?
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:33 am

Normally this problem is due to the first progression hole being partially exposed by the butterfly postion at idle and additional fuel and air being sucked through here.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:41 pm

I had the same problem recently. I checked the float heights and they were way out. Engine runs like a dream now. :lol:
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Paul Chapman » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:28 pm

I also had similar issues of this sort which I solved by replacing the float needle valves which were both well worn and then adjusting the floats to the correct Weber settings, the idle speed now remains steady and quickly returns to the set point. Hope this helps.
Paul
Paul Chapman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mini64 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:40 pm

there was some silicone remnants left on the o-ring holders from a previous install. I didnt do a good job cleaning them off. I bet this is the problem cause all I did was pull the carbs, then put them back on. If this isnt the answer I'll reply back with what I found.
mini64
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: