Strombergs are a pain

PostPost by: jayrz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:05 am

Have any of you replaced them with 240Z type SUs?
Would love to have the head converted to use webers but can't swing that right now.

Thanks,

Jay
jayrz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fasterbyelan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:57 am

Why are they a pain ?

Karl
fasterbyelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:01 am

All carbs are a pain..... Hitachi & SU carbs have their own issues. Out of the frying pan in to the fire :(

If your car is US spec great improvements can be made by changing the configuration to UK spec. My Stromberg car runs sweet with 130bhp. IMHO Strombergs are easier to set up than Webers.

What issues are you having? Perhaps I may be able to offer hints and tips.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: poiuyt » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:47 pm

I just got done adjusting the Strombergs on my 1969 S4 - they were running so rich that the plugs wound up covered in carbon and the back of the car would turn black after a few miles.

A minor adjustment in the needle setting corrected this - far easier than any Weber I've ever had.

They are easy to adjust after you understand how thwy work.

Steve B.
Steve B.<br>1969 Elan S4
poiuyt
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jayrz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:04 pm

Well this is the second time now the floats have developed leaks at the plastic seams and sunk or partially sunk making the car undrivable.
Being in the U.S we have the more complicated versions, I beleive, that lets them get out of balance easily.
Yeah I actually do know how they work, shame they don't have an adjustable needle as was available on some TR-6s. I do not have a problem with fettling for proper tune, enjoy it actually, but fixing the carbs because they fail in some way is getting old.
Found a site that installs Mikuni Flatsides www.prirace.com, and they are very interesting products but are geared up for Triumphs and some MGs (1500). But then I'd be in the same place needing to have the siameesed intake machined off the side of the head and fabrication a manifold to hold the flatslides.
jayrz
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:44 am

The later one do have adjustable needles. There is a conversion that can be done with a drill and tap and the needles can be changed to the top adustable ones. If you are intrested I can find it. Got it off a USA Triumph web site.

Mike
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:12 pm

The ones with the fixed needles and adjustable jets are the better ones, they have a greater range of adjustment.

If you still have the US spec with those cross over pipes etc, ditch that extra plumbing and go to the UK spec. This is a much better set up and gives more power :D

The floats failing is down to faulty parts supply, www.burlen.co.uk is the best place to get Stromberg bits, you can even get new carbs now :o
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:16 pm

Mike,

I would be interested in that information on converting fixed needle Stombergs for the top adjustable type. I have an ex USA spec car in the UK with fixed needles and jets.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:56 pm

Dave,
I have this lot printed at home. I will dig it out and find the site name and let you know.

Mike :)
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: miked » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:11 pm

Dave

Have got the article and others from the Buckeye Triumphs, Ohio. The guy who wrote it is Nelson Riedel. I have been on their site but they have removed it from their technical part. I have tried to email the guy but his address is old (2002) and it bounced.

I will scan these pages at work on monday and email them to you.

Mike :roll:
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Arthur Dent » Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:08 am

anyone tried Megasquirt fuel injection?
Arthur Dent
New-tral

PostPost by: steveww » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:58 pm

To convert to any version of the Stombergs e.g fixed needle/adjustable needle is just a matter of swapping some parts over. Give Burlen a call they know these carbs reasonably well and have all the parts manuals. They were a great help when I rebuilt my Strombergs last year.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusanglia1965 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:04 pm

I'm developing fuel injection for my stromberg head. As these are cheap to buy,should offset cost of ecu etc. milled the "manifold" runners to take injector pockets and bought two 45mm throttle bodies from jenvey. Will post results in a couple of years if all my other projects are anything to go by!

Martin
lotusanglia1965
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: