Stuck choke cable housing

PostPost by: Harvey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:04 pm

Having owned my Federal '71 Plus 2S for 12 years, I decided it was time to grease the choke cable. I released it from the Strombergs and pulled it out of its flex housing. After greasing it I began threading it back through the housing but, since Federal cars are left hand drive, it refused to pass through the turns necessary to route it from the driver's side across the back of the heater to the passenger side of the car where it exits the firewall to the carbs.

I then decided to remove the cable housing, thread the cable through its length, then reroute the housing from the instrument panel through the back of the heater to the firewall exit to the carbs. At least that was the plan. When I began to pull the housing from the left side of the heater the housing jammed after the first few inches and now I cannot move it either forward or backward. I made a hook from a coat hanger in an attempt to lift the flex housing upward or pull it downward but no luck. I am literally stuck! This is truly the place for one of those high tec fibre-optic cameras because I cannot see behind the heater to know what is keeping the housing from moving.

I don't want to remove the dashboard to free the cable housing but I'm really at an impasse with this problem. Can anyone send me a picture of the back side of the heater so that I can see where I might be hung up? I would also be greatful for any other ideas members might have on how I can free my housing from its behind-the-heater prison.

Harvey Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:10 am

If you have a radio, can remove it? That should get you access behind the dash to be able to reach in there and get to the cable. housing.

Bob

1969 S4
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 am

Bob,

I do have a radio and I will remove it tomorrow and see if I can peek behind the heater. I'll let you know what I find.

Thank you,

Harvey Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: m750rider » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Good luck. Don't remember the layout of a +2, but on an S4 the radio is above the heater core and there isn't much up there. If it is the same, you should be able to grab it and re-fit the cable.
m750rider
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:34 pm

Make sure there are no sharp edges sticking out of the cable. (obvious.. sorry!) You might have to clean and solder the end of the cable and try and 'round it off'.. they can be an Sh1t of a job to thread through. Have you tried rotating the cable as you push it through?

Hope it goes ok for you.

Alex... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:00 am

My thanks to all of you Plus 0 guys for trying to help me but after removing the radio I find that there is no access to the area behind the heater where the cable housing is caught. I have pushed and pulled on the housing from both sides of the car but it refuses to budge. Without being able to see what lies behind the heater that has captured the cable I fear that I am only wedging it in more tightly by my efforts.

I think now that this is a problem unique to my fellow Federal Plus 2 bretheren and I am going to re-post my problem to the Plus 2 side of the ledger and see what response I get. Surely someone with a luxo barge has gotten themselves into the fix I'm in at one time or another by trying to lubricate their choke cable.

Harvey Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:48 am

I think that the Radio Shack (is that what it is still called in the US?) folks sell a very reasonably-priced fibre-optic camera thingy (technical term), this might be your best way forward, without major dismantling work.

Good luck.
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Pete,

It is Radio Shack and I will drop by the local store today.

Thanks,

Harvey Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Harvey » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:10 am

As a finale to this post I found a digital inspection camera at Harbor Freight for $110 with the idea that I could see behind the heater and thus determine what had snagged my cable housing. However, there was room enough to insert the camera only a few inches which revealed the housing disappearing into a narrow crevasse.

I finally gave up trying to free the housing, greased the cable, and by pushing and turning managed to get it back into the housing and out to the front Stromberg. Lesson: Do not try to remove the choke cable housing unless your dash (and maybe heater) is out or you drive on the right side of the car.

Harvey Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:55 pm

Yes it is tricky.. Well done on getting it sorted though.

Al'.... :wink:
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: