Weber Throttle Return Spring

PostPost by: kevin » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:14 pm

Someone in the past removed the airbox from my +2 and replaced it with two K&N style filters. I have now obtained a new backplate and airbox, but cannot see how or where the throttle return spring is supposed to fit. Currently the throttle cable pings out of the little barrel on the carb linkage when the accelerator pedal is pressed. Not a problem at the moment as the car is not on the road but in a (hopefully) short time this could become a bigger issue

Could anyone please describe or send me a photo how the spring is supposed to fit? I can't find any pictures in either the repair of the parts manual. Also is the accelerator pedal supposed to be sprung on the pedal box shaft? Mine doesn?t seem to be.

Thanks

Kevin
www.lotuselan.info
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Fri Nov 28, 2003 8:27 pm

Hi, on the plus 2 the cable outer does all the work and the inner is fixed by its ferrule to the bottom of the airbox backplate. You should have a special linkage with a cylindrical pivot with a indent large enough to retain the end of the cable outer. The spring is a hairpin type and one end passes through the holes in the linkage and the other end fastens in the holes in the backplate. When you depress the throttle the cable tries to become shorter and as a result the outer is forced down acting on the linkage. there clear as mud <_<
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: kevin » Mon Dec 01, 2003 9:34 pm

elan fan

Thanks for the reply. I muddled through on the weekend and managed to get everything in place. I had to get a new linkage and cylinder as the old one had been damaged as it had been bent to crimp the end of the old cable in place. Worked out where to drill a hole in the backplate and everything now seems to work nicely.

Cheers

Kevin
kevin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gwnorth68 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:04 am

Does anyone have or know where to get a hairpin spring for the throttle linkage? I am presently making do with a homemade one.
Tom
'68 Elan S3 Roadster, '72 MGB, FFR Roadster Cxbxa Replica, 2001 Saab 9.3
Bolton Ouest, Quebec
gwnorth68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 7:38 am

I just got two from SJ Sportscars, the weber and dellorto springs are different, their website is:
www.sjsportscars.co.uk
Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: