Fuel spillage from filler

PostPost by: EPA » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:32 am

I just thought some of you might be interested in an experiment I have just tried as I got a bit fed up with fuel spilling out if I filled my +2 more than half full.
I have fitted a one way valve that is normally fitted into the filler neck of an MX5
http://www.mx5parts.co.uk/fuel-filler-r ... -2643.html

As the OD of this is smaller than the hose on the +2 and I needed a way of fixing it into the +2 hose anyway I purchased a second hand filler neck from an MX5 (the valve clips into this) and cut off the bit at the end where the valve clips in.
With the use of two ID reducers I fitted the assembly into the +2 hose at the tank end and clamped it in position with a couple of jubilee clips.
http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/hose-id-reducers
Anyway it seems to work- I have just spent a week touring Northumberland (many steep hills and sharp bends) and I initially filled the car to 3/4 full ( far more than would have been a problem before) and later filled all the way with no sloshing over the wing.

Its worth noting that the MX5 filler neck that I purchased already had the correct valve fitted (you need to have the later version of the valve)
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: TonyJ » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:21 pm

Any chance of some pictures. I have tried and tried to stop fuel leakage by using the ideas on the forum with little success. Fed up with the smell and more annoyingly the mess it makes on the paint work. Having succes at present with some putty in and around the screw and cap but think the petrol will dissolve this away in time.

If no pics then how about a drawing? Please :P

Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:14 pm

nice solution.........
I have a 'bung' but remove it everytime I fill up.....
this sounds like a plan so I don't need to 'un-bung' my filler neck each time

I have had this problem on all my +2 's and have swapped out many caps (lockable or non-lockable)...changed seals etc etc...to no avail.....
Attachments
sp1030.jpg and
Lotus_plug.jpg and
BUNG
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:22 pm

Thx. just ordered one thru your link !
RichC
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:16 pm

TonyJ wrote:Any chance of some pictures. I have tried and tried to stop fuel leakage by using the ideas on the forum with little success. Fed up with the smell and more annoyingly the mess it makes on the paint work. Having succes at present with some putty in and around the screw and cap but think the petrol will dissolve this away in time.

If no pics then how about a drawing? Please :P

Tony

Tony
I dont have any pictures as I would have to dismantle it again and all you can see from the outside are two extra jubilee clips on the flexible filler hose.
It is fairly simple to do though.
You need the following bits:-
1/ The valve as per my link
2/ An MX5 filler neck
3/ a 57-50 mm ID reducer
4/ A 50-45 mm ID reducer
5/ A couple of jubliee clips ( I think these had to be up to 70mm)

You the cut off the lower part of the MX 5 filler neck to a lengh that corresponds to the lengh of the valve body and fit the valve into it. (it clips in firmly so dont try test fitting it before you cut the filler neck because it doesnt come out as easily as it clips in).this assembly is approx 45mm outside diameter.
The purpose of the filler neck piece is simply to carry the valve and to have something rigid to clamp in the filler hose with the jubilee clips.
Next you remove the flexible hose that fits between the tank and the filler neck on your car(make sure your fuel level is quite low before you do this ie lower than the filler tube on the tank).
Fit the 50-45 id reducer into the 57-50 reducer and this should then fit over the cut off filler neck containing the valve.(you need to remove the lip from the 57-50 mm reducer first).
Push the assembled parts into the your cars flexible hose (at the tank end) far enough in to still be able to push the hose onto the neck of the tank.
Clamp the assembly inside the hose with the jubilee clips( I used 2 but 1 would hold it in place) and refit the hose on the car .

I Hope this make sense
Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:00 pm

And then there's this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390319747602?ss ... 1497.l2649

This is Mazda's effort to fix the problem on the earlier cars. It appears to be similar to the after market one above for a bit less money. (Why isn't there a smilie for "cheap baxtard" when I could regularly use one?) :)
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TonyJ » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Thanks Ed, I shall be purchasing the stuff asap and fitting it when it. Hopefully it will goes as easy as you've made it sound :lol: What you have decribed makes sense.

No more petrol smell after vigorous cornering and the nasty marks on the paintwork :D

Thanks again, Tony
TonyJ
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: EPA » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:21 am

Filling the tank up has revealed an unexpected feature of the car.
I spent a week touring on holiday and all was ok but on returning home I filled up the tank ( not to the brim) and drove the 3 miles home from the filling station and parked the car in the garage as usual,everything fine.
About 2 hours later I passed the rear door of the garage and there was this unmistakable smell of petrol.
When I went to investigate I found a small pool of fuel forming below the rear wing under the fuel filler cap.When I opened the cap the fuel was right to the brim and leaking out of the top.
I soaked up the fuel (there wasnt that much) and took the car for a drive to lower the fuel level and it had moved several inches down the filler neck by the time I returned home.
I checked it several times after that and the fuel level still remained ok.
The next time I used the car I did about 20-30 miles and all was ok. On returning home I left the car on the drive as I intended to use it again later but when I came back out to the car I realised that the fuel had expanded to the brim again (but not quite spilling over).
I put the car into the garage and in 1 to 2 hours the fuel had contracted back to several inches down the filler neck.
It was a really hot sunny day and I think the fuel had just expanded with the car being left out on the drive but I will only fill the car to 3/4 full in future unless I am setting out on a long run.

Ed
EPA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DeanG » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:00 am

This was typical of many cars. In the mid 1970s I was a firefighter at an industrial plant. During the summer months it was common for people to fill their tanks just before pulling in to the parking lot for the start of shift. The heat of the day would cause fuel to overflow. This would be called in to the fire department at least once a month.
DeanG
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:15 pm

Used to happen to me often until I copped what was happening. Since then I'll only fill the tank if I'm starting a run, not at the end of the run! :lol:
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:03 pm

on a plus two if the breathers that go over the top Under the headlining are blocked the tank cannot breath. Air in tank expands and forces fuel out of filler.
Imho check to see if breathers are blocked
Alan.B
alan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:05 pm

The saga continues as the weather takes a turn for the better...spent some time in the shed and fitted the one way valve....had to turn up a boss to allow it to sit in the fuel tank,but all seems well...

2015_0226petrolfiller0006.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0007.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0010.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0013.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0014.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0015.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0016.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0017.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0018.JPG and

2015_0226petrolfiller0019.JPG and

Going to brim it this weekend so will post the result...would hate to spend ?6000 ( is it ? ) on a SMS paintjob to have petrol leaking all over it....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:10 pm

P.S.

as you can see,the left hand breather is direct to the filler,and the black pipe teed to the vent is the low pressure return from the EFI...

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:14 am

Update...just brimmed it this week with 43 Litres and gave it some G-force and the left hand flank is as dry as a bone....SUCCESS.

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Si Geen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 pm

One year on from this original post by EPA. Has anyone had any adverse problems following the fitting of a non return valve from an MX5?

I thought I'd ask before I tried it this coming week as all other attempts to prevent the leaks have failed.

Si
Si Geen
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: