How does a solid state petrol pump work.

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:11 pm

Agreed, there are better clips but I haven't come across them locally. I buy the smallest Jubilee clip which will go around the hose to minimise the radius mismatch.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:56 pm

The hose clamps Mike mentioned are used with fuel injection hose. One advantage of this hose is, it is designed to work with ethanol enhanced fuel. The ones I have used use metric measurements.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbyr » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:12 pm

Guys I know this is a 4 yr old thread but it's first page Google results for how one of these pumps work.
The thing is they don't actually sense the end of piston travel. They are set up one of two ways.

Set frequency or transistorized gate.

With a set frequency it's just hooked to a 555 timer circuit, it doesn't care how far the piston travels and will simply click at the same rate as long the voltage is even.

With a transistorized gate it's basically a current sensitive switch. The coil of the solenoid becomes saturated as voltage is applied and it will take less and less current. If we know the amount of current the coil takes initially then we just design a transitor gate circuit wherein it is switched off when the coil reaches a set saturation, say 70-90 percent so that it's only taking between 10 and 30 percent of it's initial draw. So long as the core is moving some energy is used to move it rather than charge the coil so it won't reach the saturation level.

If your pump slows down under load it is using a gate circuit, if it clicks at about the same rate whether under load or not then it is using a set frequency.

Of course , both will still move some even when completely capped at output simply because the piston does not have a perfect seal. OPs problem may have been best resolved with either a different model pump or an inline pressure switch and relay.
Robbyr
New-tral

PostPost by: alaric » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:16 am

Hi all.

I have one of those little facet cube things as a pump and found this video. I thought it was brilliant so here it is:

https://youtu.be/Dtf66p8M11g

Sorry if it's already been posted - I did check but didn't see it.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: