Mechanical fuel pump advice please

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:47 pm

Had my first trip home on a low loader for the first time in 40 years earlier in the week!
Had just fixed a problem with the Aldon magnet collar all was well for a few miles and then came to a roadside halt.
Problem seems to be with the fuel pump, no fuel coming out at carb end when turning engine over.
Pump is all metal marked B D Made in Italy, with removable dome.
Diaphragm looks intact.
Questions:
Should there be a functioning one way valve on both inlet and outlets? On mine the inlet valve is working (by blowing and sucking!) but not the outlet which is open.
A small circular disc dropped out of the top circular recess (see pic) - there doesn’t seem to be any sign of a retaining clip. Not sure of its function.
Would appreciate advice
Richard
Attachments
IMG_6844.jpeg and
IMG_6840.jpeg and
Lotus Elan Sprint FHC 1973
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:32 pm

Yes there should be a one way valve on both inlet and outlet of a diaphragm type pump. Looks like your outlet valve has fallen apart. In the AC Delco glass top pump the valves are identical and are just an interference fit in the top cover with staking to stop them falling out, your pump is probably a similar design. I can't find your pump listed anywhere on the internet so no idea where you might get spares. I guess a replacement pump from one of the usual suspects will be your only option.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:59 pm

Thanks Roger
Looking again the make is BCD, but likewise I can’t find anything about this pump.
All metal replacements are available for about £40 and the glass topped for around £90.
Some previous posts suggest the glass topped are more reliable, but not sure if this applies to the modern versions or not.
Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:19 am

Hi Richard,
Found your pump and it is listed for a Lotus Elan but unfortunately the only part they appear to service is the diaphragm ... not the valves.

Screenshot 2023-06-17 060704.png and

Use the link below and click on the search wizard tab in the header bar then enter Lotus: Elan.....

http://www.bcdcorona.it/catalogo/Scheda_en.asp
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:37 am

Thanks Roger
In process of ordering a new pump from SJS
Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:02 pm

I hope it's one with a glass dome!!!!
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Jun 21, 2023 2:14 am

alan.barker wrote:I hope it's one with a glass dome!!!!
Alan

...and the 'new' glass dome ones now being sold are copies (Chinese?)of the original AC pump so I would still watch out for the delivered pressure being incorrect!
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Thu Jun 22, 2023 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the comments/advice.
Steve at SJS was very helpful and checked the output pressure on the replacement he supplies - and it is 7.5psi! Looking back over previous threads (as long ago as 2009) it seems many of the repro pumps have a similar output. Rather more than the 1.5 to 2 psi that the workshop manual specifies.
A fellow forum member kindly offered me an NOS pump which I have just purchased.
Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: cobraboy » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:58 am

I have two glass top fuel pumps available for rebuild purposes if anyone needs one to build up for a spare.

Regards

Mark
cobraboy
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:46 pm

Fuel pump replaced and back on the road! After the previous electronic ignition problems I’m hoping for some trouble free miles.
Took a little while to get the infamous rear bolt in place. Found 1/4 inch ratchet with a 50mm bar and UJ onto 1/2 inch socket did the job once I had managed to get the bolt threaded.
Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Jul 17, 2023 8:24 pm

Richard to help replacing the set screws that hold the pump to the block. Turn engine by hand so the Cam that opetates the fuel pump is in lowest positipn. Least pressure on pump operating lever easier to fit set screws.
In the tunnel inline with pump is a rubber bung. You can remove that so you have acess from inside car with socket and extension to tighten screws.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardS » Tue Jul 18, 2023 7:33 am

Thanks Alan
I did find the grommet high in the footwell, as mentioned in some previous posts. However mine was behind the carpet, and it seemed even more difficult to access than directly so I didn’t uncover it.
I approached the pump from above, having removed the rear carb rather than from below.
Anyway all done, hopefully a job I won’t have to do again during my ownership as the failed pump had lasted 40 years!
Richard
RichardS
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: