Pressure regulator with mechanical fuel pump

PostPost by: cadwell » Wed Jan 31, 2024 4:46 pm

I am nearing the end of my S4 rebuild and sorting out fuel delivery. I would prefer to retain a mechanical pump if possible.
However, QED recommend that a regulator is fitted to all mechanical pumps produced today, as the delivery pressures are usually quite a lot higher than the old pumps.
Has anyone fitted a regulator after the mechanical pump? If so where did you fit it? The space between the distributor and the pump is quite tight, and the Webers restrict the height, so it seems to me that fitting a regulator is virtually impossible, but I’m sure a few people must have done this, so I should be very grateful for some hints.
I seem to be moving more towards an electric pump, but would rather not

Thanks

Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:17 pm

Hi Peter,
I fitted a Filter King under the forward carburettor bracketed off the wheel arch with no difficulty. It does not seem to obstruct access too much even though everything is tight down there. I also have an electric pump in the spare wheel well just used for priming the Webers.
Cheers
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:29 pm

Eric

Many thanks for your quick response, sounds good, I will investigate tomorrow.

Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:48 pm

I too have a Filter King (fed via boot mounted electric pump) mounted at the same location as Eric's. There is even room there for the coil, which is mounted to one of Cliveyboy's excellent brackets which fixes to the radiator frame.
A matter of personal choice, but I have also deleted the braided Y fuel hose in favour of R9 ethanol compatible hose.
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:14 pm

It's on an electric pump but I fitted this type:
https://www.demon-tweeks.com/holley-fue ... tor-49304/

on a small bracket of the rear edge of the rear weber carb. I have dcoe151 which have an extra bracket on them which I used along with unused idle adjustment screw hole. Not sure I would recommend the regulator thou, I got one of the clone ones and couldn't get it to regulate low enough with out modifying it's internals. May just have been the higher pressure regulator in the box for a lower pressure regulator thou.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Dellortofan » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:32 pm

The other owners have tried and tested the filter king like me to good effect.
The other dial type of various Chinese qualities leak and are a fire hazard. Funny how still allowed to keep selling em...
Dellortofan
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:35 pm

Interesting. Are you referring to this type of regulator? If so has anyone else got experience of using this type?

Peter
Attachments
DF3A6073-E54E-43CF-8D59-E0732BE9CF55.jpeg and
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:03 pm

Isn't it possible to rebuild your existing mechanical pump and not buy a new one. Then you can forget the idea of fitting a pressure regulator.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:04 pm

cadwell wrote:Interesting. Are you referring to this type of regulator? If so has anyone else got experience of using this type?

Peter

I use one of these in the race car. I have a fuel pressure sensor fitted next to the carbs so I know what's going on.
Sadly, I fitted the regulator in the boot. It should be next to the carbs. Under heavy braking and acceleration you can see pressure changes as the 10 foot line of fuel surges. It's not dramatic, but not ideal. I'd say the regulator works well. I have read stories of these type of regulator failing. Not my experience.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:14 pm

cadwell wrote:Interesting. Are you referring to this type of regulator? If so has anyone else got experience of using this type?

Peter

Yes I fitted one & it leaked like crazy :roll:

Took it straight out & threw it away.

Do a google search & you'll find others with the same experience...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cadwell » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:56 pm

Thanks everyone, I will go for a Petrol King, don’t like the thought of petrol sloshing about in the boot!

Peter
cadwell
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:10 pm

cadwell wrote:Thanks everyone, I will go for a Petrol King, don’t like the thought of petrol sloshing about in the boot!

Peter

Peter,

As Graeme mentions above, the pressure regulator should be mounted next to the carbs to allow for the column of fuel in the pipe you are accelerating and decelerating when driving. Probably not much of an issue unless you are racing, but worth thinking about. Whether by luck or by judgement, the old mechanical pump is in just the right place.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:05 pm

How has everyone been making along with the rebuild kits for the original AC units, speaking to ethanol or methanol etc from today’s fuels?
What is the best and most accepted source for kits?

I have had electric fitted to both my Elan’s, but, am always considering other options.

Finally, I sure have noticed on my 70-80’s Volvo and Mercedes crystals forming around the head, I suspect from these modern fuels. I have not updated any of the “O” rings or fuel systems to account for modern fuels, seems like it is time, though I do stretch their legs from time to time. All fuel injected cars.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: