What is the correct method of setting Dellorto float levels?

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:06 pm

Help and advice needed.

So I need to set the float levels but I’m not sure how to go about this correctly.

There is a valve which has a spring loaded shaft in the centre upon which the float pushes against to close the valve.

Here is the bit I don’t get….. when held vertically should the float press on the shoulder of the valve to close it and not (or just) touch the spring loaded shaft? Or should the float just touch the spring loaded shaft and not be pressing on the shoulder?

Would appreciate a clear write upas what touches what and how. I know the set up dimensions are wrong at the moment as I have a 12mm gap when the carb top is hung vertically. With10 gram weights this should be 16.5/17 mm I believe.

Thanks
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonyr27 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:16 pm

1966 S3 FHC Medici Blue
tonyr27
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:36 pm

Hi thanks for the above.

In the end I double checked the timing, 12 static with the dizzy giving a further 20 degrees. I just set the floats to give me the mythical 27mm from the top of the jet holders, and used a colour tune and my ears to set the idle up. In my other post I mentioned I'm looking into an AFR meter, but thats not immediatley imminent.

many thanks
Mark

ps to obtain the 27 mm, the standard float setup, where I have read it states... "do not compress the float needle valve spring" it is impossible on my 10 gm floats to get this 27 mm with the dimensions stated in the manuals as the want to hang vetically and compress the valve. Maybe I'm missing something :?:
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:52 am

If it’s the same as a Weber then bend the tang that contacts the ball of the needle valve to suit.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 am

Craven wrote:If it’s the same as a Weber then bend the tang that contacts the ball of the needle valve to suit.

The Weber is a ball, whilst the Dellorto is a spring loaded needle valve and has a spring loaded rod that sits inside the valve body. The button head of spring loaded rod sits in the thin slot in the float and is actuated by the main frame of the float pushing on it (well that’s as I see it). I’m not sure that bending the slot would give the required clearances. Photos attached. Very happy to be proved very wrong :oops:

Thanks
Mark
Attachments
IMG_0282.jpeg and
IMG_0281.jpeg and
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:28 pm

OK, completely different, only thought is the height of the valve is there a seating washer that can be increased/reduced. Probably you found the same ref.
As shown below in other images, to adjust the float level tweak the floats.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: