Rear Carb Accessibility

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Sun Sep 05, 2004 5:37 pm

The clearance between the rear Stromberg carb (I presume Weber as well) and the top of the footwell is so small that it makes removal of the rear carb an especially challenging job. Oh I've jacked up the right side of the engine, even disconnecting the motor mount to gain more clearance, but there has to be a better way. Has anyone either reduced the height of the footwell to provide more clearance or cut a large hole in the top of the footwell in order to gain access to the rear carb through the footwell? This hole could be plugged with the same style of rubber grommet used on the side of the transmission tunnel. Any suggestions?

Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minneapolis
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sun Sep 05, 2004 7:30 pm

Frank,
That's a great idea on a left hand drive but not a good idea safety-wise or even very useful on a right hand drive with all the pedal bits in the way!
I thought all Lotus owners were imbued with double joints for removing carbs and distributer access anyway! :D
Roy
'65S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:41 am

Hello Frank, I adhere to the keep it original school of thought but I say cut the hole. There is no structural nor cosmetic damage worthy of mention, so why not? It's an easy sensible solution. I'd find a snug fitting fuel proof plug first, then cut the hole where you need it to the dimensions of the plug. Rectangular would be nice for swinging the wrench. Speaking of wrenching, what about your back while accessing this hole? Good Luck, Eric
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: BillGavin » Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:55 am

I believe Tony Thompson Racing supply a modification kit just for that purpose. It's intended for RHD applications, but would probably work just as well in LHD applications.
BillGavin
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:39 pm

Interesting.... On my RHD S4 with Stromberg carbs I have never had any problems taking them off or putting them back on again. Once the airbox has been removed the mixture is easy to adjust. Perhaps I just have small hands :P
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Mon Sep 06, 2004 4:40 pm

Just another point- I did in fact lower the horizontal face under the carbs by about one inch some years back because of similar problems. I'd be careful about leaving an aperture at this point- firstly your Insurance Co might not be too happy if they consider it contributed to any accident which occurred and secondly this is a structural area with a fair loading- personally I'd lower the lid so to speak but I'd make good the repair by using something like a stainless plate bolted and bonded to the area concerned.

Regards

john
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DGanzer » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:04 pm

Just a small thing to note...
The left and right hand motor mounts are not the same. If they are reversed the rear carb sits very close to the footwell.
A DPO had made this mistake on my car and cobbled up the top of the foot well to get clearence for an air cleaner. Once I had flipped the motor mounts from left to right there was plenty of clearence...

Dave Ganzer
DGanzer
New-tral

PostPost by: Frank Howard » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:27 pm

Good point Dave. I once bought a set of mounts from Bean and after I installed them, the Strombergs were hitting the bonnet. It's my understanding that there are mounts for Stromberg cars and different mounts for Weber cars. The Stromberg mounts lower the engine, at least on the carb side to prevent the carbs from hitting the underside of the bulge in the bonnet. Bean sent me a replacement pair of mounts specifically for Stromberg cars and the Strombergs stopped hitting the bonnet. The guys who claim to have plenty of clearance beneath the carbs probably either have Webers, or they have Weber mounts on their cars. I don't know. So you're saying that other than the four metal spacers between the mount and the block, the left mount is different than the right mount?

Frank Howard
Frank Howard
'71 S4 SE
Minnesota
Frank Howard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:49 pm

:rolleyes: I have found by removing the hood and attacking the carbs from the front of the car -- with a zen approach [ eyes closed and visualizing the nut mating to the stud]--- makes the job much easier ooooooooommmmm ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:59 am

Stromberg carbs should have the same motor mounts on boths sides which are the same as the left hand side of a weber engined car. The weber engine car has a motor mount on the righthand side that raises the engine so the carb clears the footwell.

I have only had a problem removing the rear carb when I can't find my short combination wrench. It's a fiddle since you can't move the bottom nut more than a face at a time, but a 3 inch long open end wrench coming in from the rear works well for me.
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rickf » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:15 pm

Seems easier to buy a cheap wrench and saw it off to a length that fits. Modifications to the car would be a lot more work, unless you take the carbs off very frequently.
Cheers,<br>Rick<br>1972 Elan +2
rickf
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: miked » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:37 pm

I agree, I have an S4 with Stommies and use a cut off spanner and a mirror. I have the same engine mounts both sides. I have large hands and seem to manage ok.

regards Mike
Mike

Elan S4 Zetec
Suzuki Hustler T250
Suzuki TC120R trailcat
Yamaha YR5
Suzuki Vstrom 650XT
Suzuki TS185K
miked
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:38 pm

Seems easier to buy a cheap wrench and saw it off to a length that fits.

Strange you should mention that - it is exactly what I did. I know what you mean that bottom nut on the rear car is a bit of a tricky one. Nothing compared to the clutch slave cylinder though :o
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: