My Sump Touches The Anti-roll Bar

PostPost by: Mohe » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:59 pm

Can anyone help please?

I am renovating a S3 S/E baby Elan and the engine sump is touching the anti-roll bar. I think that the engine mounts are the correct ones and right way up. The engine seems to sit properly in the chassis.

It is a mystery to me and I must have made a mistake somwhere.

Could the ani-roll bar be wrong way round or back to front? How would I know?

Has anyone else made the same mistake?

geoff reiss
[email protected]
07711 -018522
Mohe
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pereirac » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:15 pm

The engine should sit at a slight angle as the engine mounts on either side are different. A Lotus bodge to stop the carbs hitting the bodywork

The U shaped part of the mount bolted to the engine should face down so that if the rubber holding the two parts of the mount breaks (which it sometimes does, especially on the exhaust side where the mount get cooked) the engine is still supported - although it gets very noisy under the bonnet :-)

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:07 pm

Assuming the engine mounts are Ok, do you have the proper links for the rollbar? It should hang down below the frame by a few inches.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mohe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:34 pm

Thank you for your advice - it does seem to be a problem with the engine mounts and now the body is in place I think I can fit it all together - there's plenty of room for the engine and the engine mounts are really easy to get to. By the way I am a 4foot high contortionist with an octupus for a friend. Geoff
Mohe
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:47 am

Geoff,

I'm about to replace all the bushes on my suspension, gearbox and diff mounts on my +2. An extra 4 pairs of compact hands would be brill, can I borrow him/her?

Hamish.

:lol:
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: