Tyre (tire) Lettering

PostPost by: elan_fan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:40 pm

Hi I've been doing a few little jobs to my S4 you know the usual heater hoses, air filter oil changes etc.. Now I'm not one to think that the Elan or Plus 2 need any extra in the way of detail when they are in nice condition but I did notice that on many old press photos the brand lettering on the tyres was always white or yellow. When I was a boy, white branding=racing car, so I though what the hey I'd try it so I bought a lettering pen and spent 10 mins colouring them in (Firestone in my case) and I tell you what it looks ACE :D any ways it got me wondering what you guys thought of such nonsense :P

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:49 pm

I always had rasied white lettering on American muscle cars and trucks. On my Elan and ex-Esprit, no way at all. Blackwalls only for me.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:59 pm

Have to confess that I have always found white lettering to be quite smart - if you are on the track or in a show. (remember the Lotus 49 with the white Firestone lettering).

However on the road - REALLY NAFF and boy racer. White lettering = young lads cruising in lowered Vauxhall Novas with really loud sound systems. Very 'Un Lotus'

Hamish.

:angry:
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: