Mk 11 Girling brake booster

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:49 pm

My + 2 has one of the above as original equipment and I would prefer to keep the car as standard as can reasonably be achieved.

In the course of an ongoing refurbishment I removed to booster, and found, as expected, a few ounces of brake fluid in the drum.

I found an interesting web site for Sunbeam Tigers which may have shared the booster (I sold my Sunbeam Tiger when I bought the +2 many years ago, and later decided not to sell any more cars!)but no real help in the method of disassembly.

I expect that the bores may need honing or sleeving but right now I cannot work out how to expose them. I think there is likely to be at least one deep seated circlip...............can anyone please tell me the procedure, and whether there is a source for parts. It is easy enough to replace with a similar booster but I do not want to do that. Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:53 pm

Oops. I think the booster I have is more correctly referred to as a Mk 11A. It is the type which does not have two halves joined with a hoop. Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:24 pm

This link may help you but its a big file.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/document/G ... d%202B.pdf
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:19 am

Thanks, Brian. That site is great! Are parts available for rebuilds of these boosters - and if so, from where. Sleeving them, if necessary, is difficult but quite do-able; best perhaps to see first if the rubber plungers, and especially the valves, can be got. It might be that most parts needed for the 11A are the same as for the 11B. Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:52 am

Hello

2A and 2B boosters are quite different. They also come in different bore sizes. JLspares http://www.jlspares.com/ in UK sell kits, I think the 2A kit is quite reasonable, 2B is much more epensive.

Does anyone have a scan of page 2B from the volvo link above? It's missing, and I'd really like to see it!

Regards

Robert
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:47 am

Thanks, Robert. I have poured over a hot keyboard for hours!!. The volvo site cvi-automotive.se/resdela/5_bromsar/1_p1800brakes.htm is a mouthful - how do I refer to it without such a tedious procedure? But it has details for Mk. 11A dismantling and reassembly! I have 9 pages from the other volvo site and could fax you the missing one if I have it. Regards, Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill griffiths » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:11 pm

I have checked, Robert. I am missing page 2B also. Bill
bill griffiths
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: