Stuck front A-arm

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:45 am

I am disassembling my front suspension for the first time in perhaps three decades. The rear half of the bottom wishbone will not come off the frame mounting stud. Using a lot of force, I can move the arm through 90 degrees or so, back and forth, but I think the bushing rubber has sheared from the inner metal sleeve, which is thoroughly corroded to the stud. In any event, the sleeve isn't moving as far as I can tell.

The sheared bushing limits the rotational force I can apply to the sleeve. I've hit it with WD40 but there is a lot of contact area between the sleeve and stud. I can try a gear puller if I can find one that fits, but I suspect that will simply pull off the bushing, leaving the sleeve still frozen to the stud. At least then I can get some heat into it...

Any suggestions?
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
I love the sound of a torque wrench in the morning. Sounds like... progress.
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:48 am

Andrew
I'd get at the rubber bush and drill the little bugger till it no longer exists,then when you have the arm off settle down and gently split with a hacksaw the outer sleeve and gently grind the inner sleeve till these can be removed.....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:31 pm

"Gently grind." I like that. Good excuse to finally purchase that most virtuous tool, an angle grinder. Extreme violence delivered with great precision is the key to so much of what we do...

Thanks for the drilling suggestion - easier than a gear puller for sure.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:44 pm

May be quick than drilling out the rubber is to just heat and burn the rubber out. Not too sure how close to the body work this part is so it may not work in this situation.

An angle grinder may be too blunt an instrument. A Dremel or similar works well for grinding small amounts with more precision.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: triumphelan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:38 pm

I have just finished today replacing my front suppression on my S4 .It took 2 of us with the car on a ramp all day to remove the lower arms .With one rotating and the other levering against the pillar, it then needed the inner sleves to be cut off with the angle grinder,The bolts were seized into the lower suppession and needed to be hacksawed off
The car now rides a high at the front ,I will post some pics soon .
I bought lower arms from Susan Millar as the holes for the bolts were egg shaped
Regards John 1969S4DHC
triumphelan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Hi Andrew

After 41 years and all of the mods that you are doing to the engine, are you sure a new chassis wouldn't be a better option.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AussieJohn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:55 pm

Just did all my front wishbones on my +2, 2 were stuck so I used an angle grinder to cut the wishbone and the bush off, spare wishbones are easy to find, good luck, John.
AussieJohn
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:16 am

Steve
That is how I did a couple of mine,with a blowlamp-great smell and smoke,but was a little wary of suggesting in public as I've limited public liability insurance....

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RotoFlexible » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:18 am

After a stint of helping with a new grandchild in Virginia, I got back to the car yesterday and was successful removing two stuck wishbones - bottom rear each side, which happen to be easily accessible with the engine out. The torch got the wishbones off the sleeves, and the grinder weakened the sleeves enough that I could twist them off.

So my situation is this: Three of the top wishbones are trapped on their spindles by the bodywork, but all appear to be OK. (I think I can remove some body bolts to get the necessary clearance.) Three of the bottom wishbones are junk. Used bottom wishbones (in good shape) aren't popping up on ebay just now, although tops are available. I'm considering a complete Spyder set (top and bottom) but looking at other options as well.
Andrew Bodge
'66 Elan S2 26/4869
RotoFlexible
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: