How do you get a front wheel off?

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:26 pm

Hello all
Typical Saturday afternoon question, how do I remove the front left wheel on my lotus elan plus 2. Or to put it another way which way does it need to turn to come off?
Thanks
Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Vanden Perre » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:46 pm

If it's a spinner (central locking device) it should be written on it (arrow + word "undo"). If it's a left wheel it must be a left hand thread meaning you undo it by turning it clockwise (opposite of a "normal screw").
Olivier.
Vanden Perre
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:33 pm

Thanks. i now realise the error of my ways and quite frankly how blind I am. Also how much a I need a properly elan plus 2 jack. Anyone out ther got a spare one they are willing to sell me, pleaseeeeee?
Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldokie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:07 pm

As to the jack, I use a relatively small scissor type with a socket welded to the drive so I can raise or lower it with a ratchet. I feel it's safer, more stable, and quicker than the OEM device! The OEMs are around if you feel you must have one, there was a recent thread on this forum about jacks and handles.
Gene
oldokie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 am

Andy,

I posted a picture recently re new Plus 2 jack with a pin to fit into jacking sill tube.

Regards

Gerry
Attachments
Plus 2 Jack End View.jpg and
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks mate, got there ahead of you today though. Released the scissor jack i had, had a hole in top. Tis now filled with an M10 bolt and a suitable number of washers and nuts to transfer the load from the jacking tube directly to the top of jack. Plus the bolt is long enough to go to almost the top of the jacking tube giving me maximum positive location. All for no outlay as had everything hiding in boxes of bits and pieces in the loft.

Thanks to one and all for the advice as ever. Wouldn't be able to get alot done on car without this place, and thats despite having previously owned series landrovers, a triumph spitfire, a range rover and a discovery, a lotus elan is something else!!!!!
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:07 am

Yes, something else and like nothing else.
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: