An age old question: which tyres, have narrowed it down to 2

PostPost by: handi_andi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 pm

Hiya
The old girl needs re-shodding and having read through alot of old posts I have narrowed to down to a choice of two and would like to know what peoples experiences and opinions of them are. First the background, the old girl is a 130s plus 2 and appears to be running on a MK2 Spyder chassis, so I discovered today. Present tyres are a mixed lot of 185/70r13s and I don't remember any wheel arch or suspension rubbing problems. So now for the question, which of these should I fit?

Yokohama 185/70 r13 tread pattern S306, or:
Yokohama 165/80 r13 tread pattern S760?

Thanks

Andy
Live life to the fullest - that's why I own a Lotus
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Matt » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:28 am

Hi
I have the same chassis as yourself, I run Yokohama 185/70 r13 A021R Tyres on my +2 They are very soft and are very high grip.

TBH it depends on how you drive your car and your budget

Yokohama 185/70 r13 tread pattern S306 = family car tread pattern, tyre with giving heaver steering but car feels more sure footed, Yokohama use quietness as its selling point

Yokohama 165/80 r13 tread pattern S760 = family car tread pattern, tyre with giving light steering, and makes the car feel more nimble, Yokohama use quietness as its selling point

Yokohama 185/70 r13 tread pattern A021R = Track day tyre, very high grip but high wear rate, giving heaver steering but car feels more sure footed.

Hope this helps

Matt
1967 Elan S3
1970 Elan S4 Sprint
1972 Europa TC
1973 Elan +2 s130/5
1978 Esprit S1
1981 Esprit S2.2
Matt
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:04 am

Thanks Matt. That does help alot, I mainly use the car for country driving and not as often as I would like, so want the tyres to be a cost effective purchase. Hence am willing to stretch to yokohamas but not expensive ones.

She is presently running on 185/70s and the steering didn't feel too heavy so I might stick that direction as the roads around here can be quite greasy, even the audi a4 quattro i drive mainly has problems sticking to the roads in some parts and not due to pushing it either.

Andy

PS If the picture is your car then not only do you have same chassis but also same colour!
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:35 am

it may have the same chassis and colour Andi, but can it drive off on its own? :lol:

Under advisement I'm trying Yoko Adrives in 175/70 13, cars not on the road yet but they look the part. My budget wont stretch to A021Rs but thats what I'd ultimately like to get

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:50 am

At this rate we should write a joint article on our experiences with the two different tyre sizes!

As for moving under its own power, if I could just get the old dear started she would. However, I singularly failed the other night despite the battery having been charged for like 36hours. Spark was there, fuel was there, points gap was adjusted correctly, but nothing, not even a hint of firing. Am awaiting delivery, hopefully today, of a new battery charger which should ensure the battery is fully charged. If that doesn't work, I will be hitting the forum again for ideas as to what is wrong with the old girl.

Does fixing the smiths clock last night and leaving it running on a transformer count as moving under its own power?

Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:28 am

Interesting....

Will the Yokohama 185/70 r13 A021R tyres fit? Do they clear the standard spring cups on the rear struts? I will be using standard alloy wheels. Has anyone used this set up?

best regards, iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tower of strength » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:14 pm

175/185s can be used on standard rims, however the rear spring lower pans need a slight technical adjustment (twat it with a bloody great hammer!!) I've been out in Matts car on A021R's, and as he says it feels very planted, like the body will rip off the chassis before they loose grip!!

I conned my local tyre out let into supplying the A drives in 175/70 R13 for ?120 including tubes, vat fitting and balancing, I couldn't afford the A021R's as yet, but they will be high on the list of upgrades once the old girl is on the road

hope this helps

Mark
tower of strength
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Well I have just purchased five 175/70r13 Yokohoma A-Drives for the old girl. Having read with interest the various posts, having found the above file from Yokohama and having done some calculations on the rolling circumference, have come to the conclusion that for me the 175/70r13 A-Drive option was the best for me as a compromise between grip and nibble handling. Either that or I can't make up my mind and am just seating on the fence!

Thanks to you all!

Andy

PS For anyone thats interested http://www.247ppd.com are doing them for ?27.75 each ex vat, or ?144.33 delivered
Attachments
A_Drive_A4_Back.4619[1].pdf
Interesting comparison from Yokohama of A-Drive versus S306 grip levels
(174.89 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: handi_andi » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:24 am

Mark mentions above using inner tubes with his Yokohama A-Drives and I was wondering how many other people use inner tubes in their Elan tyres as if it is a good option I will go ahead and purchase some. I am certainly inclined to as my spare has gone down for no apparent reason despite being an almost new tyre and having had no running on it.
Thanks
Andy
handi_andi
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: