Can anyone identify these dampers

PostPost by: soggster » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Hello folks,

I think I have a leaky rear shocker, and was wondering if they were the standard item, or if not, if anyone could identify them for me.

The aren't adjustable, and the spring is the same width all the way up. One side has a sleeve on it, and one doesn't for some reason. The width of the shaft is about 21/22mm

Apologies for quality of some pics they were from my phone :?

Cheers

Andy

Last edited by soggster on Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:15 pm

In the last photo it looks like it's a top adjustable type. The standard type had a hole through the shaft for a split pin.

Alan.
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:22 pm

This is the top of a Koni adjustable
Attachments
damper adjuster.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi

The sleeve is just a dust shield, the oil could just be coming from the strut. To aid cooling you fill the strut with oil before you slide in the damper so there is no air gap between the inside of the strut and the damper. The strut is not air or water tight so it is normal for some to leak out.

If the damper damps the spring oscillations to less than 2 bounces then leave it alone it is fine.

I bought a new set of dampers, took the strut apart and found there was no leak :(

Jason
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:42 pm

Alan71, my Koni's require removal for adjustment. You know the procedure: push the rod all the way down, turn to adjust and bring the rod up.

How long have those been out? I guess I've been out of the loop on these things for a while. I've had mine for over 25 years!

Greg Z
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan71 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:32 am

I got my Koni dampers last year from Tony Thompsom.
As you are not using the castellated nut, which has a shoulder on the bottom to hold it centrally in the lotocone, Tony machined some top hat sleeves for me.

Alan
Attachments
Lotocone.jpg and
alan71
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:18 pm

Upon removal the dampers were fine, but it was good to check it all out anyway. Only one side had a bump stop fitted for some reason, so I replaced those with new ones.

I'm now going to wait until the current August deluge has stopped so I can have a run in it.

Andy.
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bcmc33 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:58 pm

They certainly look like Koni inserts to me.

Assuming they are Koni's they need to be adjusted to make sure they are balanced.
To set them up - turn the shafts by gripping the flat tab as far clockwise as they will go - this will be to the softest setting.

It is recommended that the first setting you should try is two (2) full turns anti-clockwise.
Brian Clarke
(1972 Sprint 5 EFI)

Growing old is mandatory..........Growing up is optional
bcmc33
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:50 am

Just curious, but wouldn't Konis be a rather more distinct colour? I'm familiar with the yellow and red ones. What would those installed on Lotuses be? Also interesting - the posts re: adjustment. Mine (Konis... installed on my Neon since 2004) go from soft to hard with one turn. No annoying nuts, just turn the tab on top).

My +2 has ProTech shocks (with the Spyder chassis). Anyone had experience with them?

Keith
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:38 am

Hello kcrossle,

The actual shocker body isn't visible because it's inside the housing. You can just see the shaft and the top adjuster.
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: