Rain Gutters on Roof

PostPost by: andyhodg » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Hi All

Can anyone tell me how the chromw rain gutters on my +2's roof are fixed. I can see the phillips screws going into the roof from the top of the gutter but is there a fixing under the roof hidden by the roof lining. I would like to have my gutters re-chromed but I don't want to disturb my (new) headling.

regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanman999 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:22 pm

Andy,
No you will not have to touch the head lining as the self tappers just go into the roof.
Cheers
John
elanman999
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:57 pm

Andy, the pre-130 cars had brass and chromed gutters, whilst the later cars had a very light 'anodised' metal...not sure if they are steel or aluminium. The brass ones are easy to smarten up, but not sure how you'd sort out the later ones. Are they bent where some ham-fisted git has screwed them in previously with the wrong size screwdriver?
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craig Elliott » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:07 pm

With the later ones you need to be very careful removing them - as the previous post has suggested they tend to bend/dent as soon as a screwdriver goes near them. I guess with these though it would be a simple case of polish to smarten them up...

Oh and if you do take them off remember to put some silicone sealer in and around the screw holes when you put them back otherwise you'll have another leak into the car! :)

C
Craig Elliott
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Gordon Sauer » Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:52 am

When I took mine ('72 +2S130, Federal) to the plater who was doing all my other pieces (windowframe, light bezels) he said they polished them only and no need to plate--I thought they were stainless steel but maybe too soft for that. Gordon Sauer
Gordon Sauer
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyhodg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:57 pm

Thanks all

My rails are chrome on brass - I can see the brass through the chrome! At least I know I can get them re-cromed without disturbing my new headlining.

Regards

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: