Some Brake help Please

PostPost by: mark030358 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 pm

I'm rebuilding an S4 and Just got my front brakes back after an overhaul and went to fit them on the car. They are 14LF type and they wont fit. At the same timeI have rebuilt the whole of the front suspension, including brake discs so something is wrong somewhere.

Anyway the calipers foul the brake disk by about 1/8th inch. So I removed the hub and bearings and just pushed the hub over the stub axle and had my friend just try the caliper for fit, still no joy, it wouldn't go past the mounting bracket without fouling the disk. This problem is on both sides of the car?? The only thing left in is the felt washer with its steel cup holder and the new disks as thats all I can think of to prevent the hub moving in far enough. So.... should the steel cup washer be fitted for the felt washer and are the front disks different for bolt on hubs??

Any other suggestions welcomed....

Thanks

Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:29 am

The felt seal should be fitted with the steel cup but make sure it is driven fully home in the hub. I had some which were over size and impossible to fit properly. You should be able to tell if it is the seal stopping the hub going fully home it will prevent free rotation as you tighten up the bearings. Also from memory I think that the caliper mounting plates are handed - check that you have them on the right sides.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi Mark

I am sure this is not the case but could you have fitted +2 discs by mistake?
or are the mounting lugs bent.

cheers
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:25 pm

Hi guys... problem when I took it apart was felt washer far too thick. Thanks to all.

Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: