Distance of gap for the std sprint front caliper bolts

PostPost by: soggster » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:20 pm

Hello,

Does anyone know the exact centre to centre distance for the std sprint front caliper mounting bolts? (I measured and its about 82mm)

There seems to be so much conflicting info on front brakes on here that I can't make head or tale of it.

I have standard ELan sprint front Brake Calipers and want to go for some 4 pot Aluminium Calipers.

Will Ford M16/P16 calipers fit?

Will Austin Princess 4 pot calipers fit?

The reason I ask is that you can buy Ali 4 pot replacements for both of these types, and it would save an awful lots of arsing around which I cannot be bothered with.

I know you can fit Elan +2 brakes...... but I want 4 pots, ali, vented disks, etc etc. Something more suitable to the purpose to which they will be put (heavy track work)

Some firms like TTR and others are only interested in selling you stuff that will get you through FIA homologation (ie 3 times the price) Evil or Very Mad

The diagram below is from an M16 caliper. It seems there or there abouts to me. What do you chaps reckon?

Cheers

Andy (Fed up with brakes)

soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan_fan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:27 pm

There was a thread on here about brakes and Toyota 4 pot calipers are mentioned.

the GT6 calipers fit on a TR6 according to triumph bods and here is the link for the TR6 conversion.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/brake-conversion.shtml

and this

http://www.turbo-tr6.info/tr6_brake_install.htm

both are links from spitfire and GT6 pages.

regards
Mark
elan_fan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Are the GT6/Toyota ones a replacement for the Elan +2?

I've alos read somewhere that there is a difference in the Sprints with knock ons and bolt on hubs? Spindle or somesuch?

I might chance my arm and try a toyota recon set from the friendly local motorfactors, as I can return them if they are a mile out.

Clear as mud!

:D
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Rob_LaMoreaux » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:14 pm

The knock off hub Elans have the GT6 spindles and uprights, but the 14lf mounting flange. I understand that the non-knock off Elans have the Spitfire spindles and uprights, but being Lotus some do some don't.

Changing the to the Elan +2 mounting flange allows the GT6 (M16) brakes and the 4-pot replacement brakes for a GT6 to be used.

So the easiest way to go to 4 pot calipers for an Elan just 2 with knock offs is to get the Elan +2/GT6 caliber mounting flange and disk, The buy the 4 pot calipers for the GT6.

Rob
Rob_LaMoreaux
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Andy, Ford fitment P16 calipers and Princess 4-pots will both bolt onto your existing mounts,however if you want to use aftermarket 4 pot calipers and vented discs then you will have to check for clearance within the wheels and between the caliper and the rear face of your hubs.

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:04 pm

Cheers Brian for your concise answer.

I will measure up the following and compare with the calipers available.

Distance from mounting hole to rear face of hub.

Distance to outer most point of caliper to avoid fouling on wheel.

Distance to inside and outside of disk to ensure pad fit.

Cheers

Andy.
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:22 am

I have the +2 (P16) brakes on my S4. I have removed the inner dust shield to aid cooling and I use Castrol SRF fluid with EBC Green pads. I have done a number of track days and I have yet to run out of brakes, this is with very sticky tyres as well. I used to get through brakes on my Porsche 911 one set per track day :shock: That got expensive.

The Elan is very light and not that fast in a straight line so really big brakes are not needed. There is a small advantage in reduction of unsprung weight with going with ally callipers but this would be lost with the extra weight of vented disks.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:06 pm

I was thinking of Wilwood powerlite UNF 4 pots on +2 disks
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ncm » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:23 pm

hi Andy, one further point to consider....if you are going to use an M16 replacement caliper you will most likely find that the mounting holes are slightly larger in diameter than your current calipers. To mount these correctly you will need to use the late +2/late GT6 bolts which have an increased shank diameter but use the same thread.

Brian.
ncm
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:44 pm

I race an Elan and have no problems with the brakes at all - in contrast I used to have loads of trouble with the brakes on my roadgoing Elan. My recipe for success is :
1) Make sure the master cylinder is in top notch condition. A new one with a remote reservoir is really handy and can be got for 50 quid total from demon tweeks
2) fit new discs - dead cheap.
3) Get the best brake pads. I use Performance Friction 01 compound. They're brilliant - work throughout the temperature range, don't kill the discs and don't wear out too fast. And never ever fade. (again you can buy them from Demon Tweeks). Forget all the EBC blue, red or green stuff - that's old technology. Pagid and Mintex also make great pads but they're a lot more expensive than the Perf Friction ones
4) Use the best brake fluid which is Castrol SRF. It's about 50 quid per litre but doesn't boil.

It's also pretty cheap and easy to get the calipers refurbished if needs be. I use the standard Sprint or even the early Elan calipers (no real difference). For racing purposes I bleed the brakes each time I go out but that's probably being overly cautious.

Paul :
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Petter Hval » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Paul

Do you have the part # of the front Performance Friction 01 Compound
pads for the S4 OM caliper???
Petter
Petter Hval
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Petter Hval wrote:Paul

Do you have the part # of the front Performance Friction 01 Compound
pads for the S4 OM caliper???
Petter

Second that. I used to use Performance Friction on my Porsche and they were excellent brakes.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: toomspj » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:07 am

Sure - the Part number is 0044.01.15.44. As I said you can get them from Demon Tweeks.

PF don't make the rears but you can get them cut to pattern. I get mine sent from Porterfield Brakes in California.
Turning money into noise!
toomspj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: soggster » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:45 am

Cheers Brian

I've got some bolts on order from Rimmers triumph parts of lincoln.

Andy.
soggster
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks for the part numbers for PF pads :)

It would be great if one of you fitting the alli 4 pot items would write this up for the forum.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: