rear wheel bearings

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:30 pm

I have some play in my wheels,more than i feel is acceptable.One side had new bearings 3000 miles ago but both sides feel simiar..how long should the bearings last? The replaced side was done by a very reputable dealer..opinions please?
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:43 pm

I was told be an MOT garage technician (as they are called nowadays) that a fair amount of play was still OK - so what does that mean?

Well I beleive if you can feel play, but not see it, say 1mm or less at the wheel rim, then you are still OK.

Make sure that the stub axle is not loose and spinning on the bearing. This should be obvious, because the play will be much worse, and you will probably see the differential movement.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Interesting reply,iv just checked invoice and both sides were changed,also the left side had a new bearing outer to..iv spoken to dealer that did the work,he is going to look at it at replace ir he feels its needed..
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rocket » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:36 pm

continueing on with this,i also had solid driveshafts fitted when bearings etc where replaced,could the movement im feeling be related to this/ or maybe wishbones?
rocket
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: david.g.chapman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 pm

Play in the driveshafts will not affect play in the wheel, unless you are trying to rotate it. Play in the bearings is checked by trying to rock the wheel, as you probably know anyway.

That leaves play in the wishbone bushes or rear strut assembly as a possible cause (apart from the bearing itself). Get a friend to rock the wheel while peering underneath. Try to keep the suspension loaded by jacking the wishbone cross member just behind the rear brake disc. I use a block of wood with a groove that engages with the cross member, and a scissor jack. MAKE SURE AN AXLE STAND IS USED SOMEWHERE AS A BACKUP IF YOU NEED TO GET UNDERNEATH.

Look for significant (that word again) movement between components. If you can't see movement anywhere but still feel a trace of play I think you are OK.

Dave Chapman.
david.g.chapman
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: