Trunnion repair kits?

PostPost by: AHM » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi All,

I'm tightening the front suspension and notice that the trunnions are loose on the bolts. I have replaced the 2 plastic bushes and the steel tube.

On close inspection the tube that goes through the 2 plastic bushes is just some rough bit of pipe whereas the one removed is ground.

The old tube is a good fit to the bolt, but the new one is loose

Does this matter?

Have I bought the wrong kit? (the new ones have white plastic)

I have to take it all to bits as I have read in the archive that I haven't screwed the trunnion on enough!

Thanks,

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: brettfcars » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi, not talking from elan experience on this, but i believe these are the same as fitted to the triumph heralds and gt6/spitfires.
I have assembled a few of those trunnions over the years, ( approx 8 pairs ) and i remember the nylon was always tight to fit in the trunnion sometimes requiring a slight ream to fit the steel tube !
The steel tubes i fitted in the past looked to be ground, and i believe latter ones became available in stainless, i remember the bolts were a easy but not lose fit in the tube.

when all is tightened up the steel tube is held tight between the wishbones, and its the tube that rotates in the nylon bush as the suspension moves up and down.
A rough outer surface of the tube would cause quick wear of the nylon !
I would recommend re-using your old tube if its not rusted, and make sure all steel sealing washers and seals are fitted, i used to apply silicon grease to lubicate but mostly to stop water ingress.

Brett
brettfcars
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:00 am

Hi Brett,

Thanks! The outside of the tube is smooth and a good fit, just the inside has a seam (welded tube) and is a loose fit on the bolt. I suppose it will be ok when the bolt is tight.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:31 am

The tube should be a snug fit on the bolt, so if you can I would reuse the original tube with the new bushes; and don't forget to copperslip the bolt and tube to prevent you having to take the angle grinder to the trunnion to get the bolt out at a future date! Another thing to replace is the top seal (the little rubber seal at the top of the trunnion) :D , which usually doesn't come with the trunion kits I've had, but is available - use Triumph Spitfire ones from Rimmer Bros. I always user gear oil in my trunions rather than grease....
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Matt but WOW :shock: your first post and you end it with "I always user gear oil in my trunions rather than grease...."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:22 pm

Matt,

Old tubes are too rusted, so I have had to use the new tubes, which I hope will be ok as they are supposed to be clamped (see above) by the bolt rather than bear on the bolt - I'll keep a close eye and report back if they are no good.

I can't say I'm impressed but if they work, they work.

Seals are new

I allways use grease in mine! . . . Discuss! (no second thought don't)

Simon
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Matt Elan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi folk -ref the 'new' tubes - I guess you should be OK! As for the use of EP90 its whats recommended by Triumph and Lotus, even in the Elite (M50) which I'm just getting on the road before I start on my Elan I accedently bought once I had the Elite on the drive.... These Loti come in packs you know!
Matthew Vale - Classic Motoring Author
1968 Plus 2 - Somewhat cosmetically and mechanically modified
1969 Plus 2S - Currently undergoing nut and bolt restoration
Visit me on matthewvale.com
Matt Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Tmac897 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Not sure replying to an 8 year old post will get any attention, but I?ll try it rather than create yet another trunion post.

How do you get the old trunion kit out? The trunion itself looks like brass and I don?t want to damage it.
Tony
1967 Elan S3 SE
Northeast US
Tmac897
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Presumably you're talking about getting the plastic bushes out of the brass trunnion? They're split bushes that go in from each side so once you've removed the steel tube you can tap them out by getting a screwdriver or similar into the small gap where they meet. Tap around the gap from both sides and they usually come out. Easier if the trunnion is on the bench rather than on the car.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:54 pm

tcsoar wrote:Welcome to the forum Matt but WOW :shock: your first post and you end it with "I always user gear oil in my trunions rather than grease...."

Chris

Am I missing something? A joke maybe? Matt has been a member for 8 years and 270+ posts.
It?s gone over my head. :oops:
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:11 pm

elanfan1 wrote:
tcsoar wrote:Welcome to the forum Matt but WOW :shock: your first post and you end it with "I always user gear oil in my trunions rather than grease...."

Chris

Am I missing something? A joke maybe? Matt has been a member for 8 years and 270+ posts.
It?s gone over my head. :oops:

The post you're referring to was made back in December 2011, when Matt was a new member...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 pm

Doh! I didn?t just miss it went in the opposite direction altogether! :P
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:46 pm

Chris

Ahh the good old days. :)
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: