Dust shield to rear shock absorber

PostPost by: George4th » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:07 pm

I was unable to get new ones but I still have my old dust shields (part 21)
How are they fixed to the bump stops (part 19) or do they just float?
or do people forget them?

DA.gif and

Thanks

George 4th
Guild member and proud of it
George4th
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:58 pm

On my car when new, came with these shields fitted. They are made of large bore, thin wall, rubber tube and were glued around the bottom section of the bump stop.

I did (re) fit them the first few times I stripped the rear suspension but eventually discarded them and have not had any on the car for 30 years. It might be my imagination but the dampers seem to last much longer these days than I recall, maybe they are better quality, (or more likely I don't do as many miles).

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: George4th » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:35 am

Thanks Ian, I think I may discard them, they are OK but you can tell the rubber has seen better days and if they fall off will give me another job!

Cheers

George 4th
Guild member and proud of it
George4th
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:05 pm

Hello all,
I know this is an old post, but the subject exactly matches my problem.
My 1969 Elan SE has just got an advisory on its French version of an MOT for damaged protection on the rear dampers. The part, a thin rubber tube, is available from SJ SPORTSCARS, part number A026D0009Z, but it looks to be impossible to fit without removing the shock absorber.
I realise that the easiest thing to do would be to ignore the issue, but if even Lotus went to the cost of fitting them one must assume they served a purpose.
So my question is has anyone found an alternative way of providing the same protection that can be fitted without removing the shock absorber, please?
Many thanks
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:42 pm

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:43 pm

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Sun Oct 08, 2023 2:49 pm

Thank you John but unless I've missed something this doesn't answer my question. I'm looking for a solution that doesn't involve removing the shock.
Cheers
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reds4se » Sun Oct 08, 2023 5:12 pm

You could fit a shock sock, they are usually used on motorbike rear mono-shock absorbers and wrap around the damper and are secured by velcro.R & G are one company who make them but no doubt others are available.
reds4se
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:17 am

reds4se wrote:You could fit a shock sock, they are usually used on motorbike rear mono-shock absorbers and wrap around the damper and are secured by velcro.R & G are one company who make them but no doubt others are available.

Thank you for your very useful suggestion - R & G shocktubes are even available in France, which would avoid the post-Brexit horrors of customs duty and carriers charging disproportionate amounts for processing customs clearance.
I need to measure what size I would need (they may not do them small enough) but I do have a further question, please. The R & G shocktubes seem to have a row of three eyelets down each size - I wonder why? They would surely allow dirt and dust to get in?
Many thanks
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:31 am

PS: I've found another manufacturer of shock socks held in place by Velco but without the eyelets.
Unfortunately they're in Australia but I thought they might be of interest for those down-under:-

https://mcasuspension.com/mca-suspensio ... ust-cover/
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:57 pm

The original Lotus dust shield was just a piece of rubber tube clamped at the top to the Aeon rubber spring and sliding over the bottom section of the strut. I would not worry about a few eyelets as Lotus did not worry about a large gap at the bottom in the original installation

They are not needed in real life and most Elans I look at dont have any sort of dust shield, but if french authorities require it then you need to do something to satisfy them :roll:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:48 pm

As far as i know the French don't require it .
Was only observation/advisory which does not fail a car. If they see something in tatty condition they just make observation.
They like to see the"E11" engraved as on Headlamp Units etc, my Sprint failed for no "E11" engraved.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tonycharente » Tue Oct 10, 2023 2:40 pm

Thanks for your very helpful comments, Alan & Rohan.

The French MOT was indeed only an advisory - meaning I could just choose to leave exactly as is, which is exactly what I might do.

The original fitment is a thin rubber tube that fits INSIDE the spring, circumference approx 18cm and uncompressed length approx 20cm. The rubber has to bend with the movement of the suspension, and I suppose that it is this bending combined with age that has caused the rubber to split and tear. It is, however, still just about in place, so may be providing some protection: I don't intend to remove it whatever I do.

The R & G shocktubes fit OUTSIDE the spring, circumference approx 35cm and uncompressed length approx 29cm. Unfortunately on R & G's website you order a shocktube for a particular make and model of motorbike - they generally don't provide the measurements. I have found an email address for R & G and will send them the measurements I need and ask them what motorbike(s) have the same size.

I'll see what they say but I think I'll most likely just leave as is given that many Elans no longer have their original dust covers. It's just that, as I said before, if even Lotus thought it worth fitting them they must have served some purpose.
Thanks again,
Tony
1969 Elan FHC S4 SE
tonycharente
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: