Tightening flexible brake pipes.

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 07, 2013 5:29 pm

c42 wrote:Hi Bill

I thought a picture (even of dubious quality!)may help.

Brake.jpg

Regards
John

Your bracket seems to have more clearance around the hex of the hose, than mine.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PBrown60 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

Here's an alternative tool. Called a Crowfoot. I have found them very useful for tight spaces.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-on-Tools-1 ... 75&vxp=mtr

Paul
PBrown60
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bmcman.ie » Tue May 07, 2013 8:20 pm

i always use the blade of a screwdriver to wedge in the side or top clearance between bracket and pipe, and tighten the hard pipe, works every time! ian. :D
bmcman.ie
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:40 pm

bmcman.ie wrote:i always use the blade of a screwdriver to wedge in the side or top clearance between bracket and pipe, and tighten the hard pipe, works every time! ian. :D

Yes, my way, too. I believe the 'legs' of the tab is to keep the tab from flexing and breaking off.

Greg Z
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: c42 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi Bill

On reflection, and it takes time these days! I tightened this part of the flexible first by sliding a ring spanner along the length of the pipe to hold the flexible to tighten the nut, I then slid the ring spanner off and tightened the flexi to the bracket at the other end using normal spanners where the accessibility is far better - hope this makes sense to you.

Regards
John
c42
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed May 08, 2013 2:15 am

bmcman.ie wrote:i always use the blade of a screwdriver to wedge in the side or top clearance between bracket and pipe, and tighten the hard pipe, works every time! ian. :D

Tried that it didn't hold well enough, to satisfy me.

c42 wrote:Hi Bill

On reflection, and it takes time these days! I tightened this part of the flexible first by sliding a ring spanner along the length of the pipe to hold the flexible to tighten the nut, I then slid the ring spanner off and tightened the flexi to the bracket at the other end using normal spanners where the accessibility is far better - hope this makes sense to you.

Regards
John

Makes perfect sense but alas I opted to use banjo ends at the calliper end and a 9/16 ring spanner won't pass over the banjo.

~~~~~~~~

However I have decided that trying to create the ultimate ultra-thin flange spanner is going to be a lost cause and I am going to take a totally different approach. In fact I'm going to do what it seems Lotus might have been trying to do, i.e. make the fitting such that the hex end of the flexible hose CANNOT turn, because it will be too tight a fit in the bracket.

To do this I have made my first 2 (of 4) saddle washers which will fit inside the chassis bracket and will tightly surround two flats of the hex end, so that it cannot turn. I've made these two prototypes by bending 'penny' washers that are 30 mm diameter. and about 0.75 mm thick, into a saddle shape.

I took a lot of photos while making them, but it's too late to post them tonight, so hopefully I will post the pictures tomorrow.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Wed May 08, 2013 6:37 pm

Here are the photos:
1_washers.jpg and
Start with 30mm 'Penny' washers, enlarge hole to suit UNF brake thread.

2_readyforfirstbend.jpg and
Mount on old brake hose and in vice ready to hammer.

3_hammeredFirstBends.jpg and
Initial bends done with hammer on opposite flats of the hex end of the brake hose.

4_firstViceSquueze.jpg and
Then put it in big vice for first squeeze.

5_afterFirstSquueze.jpg and
First squeeze tend to 'round' the top.

6_secondsqueeze.jpg and
So find a rectangle of scrap steel of the correct width and then squeeze around that and invert and hammer top flat. Repeat until satisfied.

7_ExcessSawedOff.jpg and
Remount on old brake hose to saw off excess metal.

8_finalcut.jpg and
Excess metal sawed off.

9_saddlewashers.jpg and
Clean up and round off edges with a file to finish the saddle washers.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Sat May 11, 2013 11:29 pm

The continued saga of fitting these washers to my car will be continued in my main re-fitting topic.
"Getting OGU roadworthy again"
lotus-elan-f19/getting-ogu-roadworthy-again-t26101-90.html#p188493
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue May 28, 2013 1:56 pm

The saddle washers definitely do the trick.
In some of the brackets I used an old flexible brake pipe first to pull the washer into the U bracket, then took that out to fit the new pipe.

SaddleWasherInUse.jpg and
Saddle washer in use to hold the flexible brake pipe

In the case of the steel bundy pipes (which I retained at the front, because I could not easily unscrew the other end from the 5-way junction), had it not been for the saddle washer, I don't think I would have been able to tighten the flare nut hard enough to stop brake fluid leakage at high pressure.

The Kunifer brake pipes at the rear were new and did not need such high torque on the flare nut to achieve a good seal.

I found my new set of Flare nut spanners were not really of much use as there is not enough clearance between the pipe fittings and the chassis to get then in place.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Tue May 28, 2013 2:54 pm

billwill wrote:In the case of the steel bundy pipes (which I retained at the front, because I could not easily unscrew the other end from the 5-way junction), had it not been for the saddle washer, I don't think I would have been able to tighten the flare nut hard enough to stop brake fluid leakage at high pressure.

The Kunifer brake pipes at the rear were new and did not need such high torque on the flare nut to achieve a good seal.

The recommended torque for the flare nut is only 8-10 lb/ft ..... barely more than "nipped-up". Be careful not to overtighten it or you may split the flare or crack the pipe at the base of the flare.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: