Exchanging the brake servo

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:38 pm

Pistacchio sprint 72 wrote:Another question! Engine on so the servo gets the vaccum it needs or engine off?

Car is rhd

Engine off, the inert servo will make the pedal a bit harder to push, but it should still go down oK. You only do it slowly in any case.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:44 am

pharriso wrote:
Pistacchio sprint 72 wrote:I have a small girling tank and a bigger one... The level in the big one is low...

Larger Girling cylinder = brakes ; smaller = clutch master cylinder

Cedric, remind me, is your car LHD or RHD?

Is there another bug in the workshop manual??
Attachments
image.jpg and
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:28 am

Hi There

Yes and no!!

The diagram is correct in that (on a RHD car) the brake cylinder should be to the right (looking forward) of the clutch cylinder as shown - otherwise it might be rather difficult to connect up to the pedals

I agree however that it should be shown as the larger of the two cylinders
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: MickG » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:40 am

East to confirm just follow the brake lines from the servo to the master cylinder. On my Sprint and I would expect it to be the same on all, the larger of the two adjacent master cylinders is the brake. Another easy check is to see which cylinder is connected to the brake peddle. :D

Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 am

I purchased one liter of brake fluid this morning and some tubing.

I will top both tank anyway!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Cheers! :mrgreen:

Done!
Attachments
image.jpg and
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:53 pm

It's a good idea to have the end of your bleed tube immersed in the fluid in your beer glass - you can then see when all the air has been expelled as there will be no more bubbles. :wink:
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:35 pm

andyelan wrote:Hi There

Yes and no!!

The diagram is correct in that (on a RHD car) the brake cylinder should be to the right (looking forward) of the clutch cylinder as shown - otherwise it might be rather difficult to connect up to the pedals

I agree however that it should be shown as the larger of the two cylinders

Nope! in a right hand drive car the bigger master cylinder (the brake) is nearer the engine to the left of the smaller clutch master cylinder,. The pedal linkages must cross over somehow, but I don't recall exactly how that is done.

The diagram
is wrongly labelled.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 pm

That's strange, my RHD +2 has the large brake on the outside/drivers/pedal side and the clutch on the inside.

Is this a +2/elan difference? I would think it very strange for them to cross the pedals, complication for no real reason.
Attachments
IMG_1179.jpg and
Large plastic = brakes, small metal = clutch.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:52 pm

My photo and the diagram are for a 2-seater not a plus 2.

It looks like a totally different arrangement. with your cylinders facing the other way around.

The parts diagrams dont seem to help much on how the pedal forces cross over.

Two-seater:
http://www.rdent.com/manuals/elan/brakes/jf.htm

Plus 2
http://www.rdent.com/manuals/plus2/brakes/jg.htm

Last edited by billwill on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:59 pm

mbell wrote:That's strange, my RHD +2 has the large brake on the outside/drivers/pedal side and the clutch on the inside.

Is this a +2/elan difference? I would think it very strange for them to cross the pedals, complication for no real reason.

There is a reason.......

In the RHD Elan there is not room for the brake master cylinder immediately behind the brake pedal so it is moved to the inside of the clutch master cylinder. The pedal box caters for the offset.
Attachments
Pedal box assembly 005.JPG and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: robertverhey » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Yes the pedal pivot mechanism in the two seaters is an ingenious piece of design. If they'd made it fully dismantle-able it would even be brilliant.
robertverhey
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks Bill, Roger.

So its a plus 2 difference, on the Elan the master cylinder are in-front of the peddles operated by the "peddles" before their axis points. With the Brake and clutch reversed relative to the pedals, for space reasons.

The +2 has the master cylinders above the pedals, and operated by an extension of the pedals past the axis point. Therefore the master cylinders are installed facing in the opposite direction.They also no need to reverse which side they are on due to the extra space in the engine bay.

You learn something new every day.....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:27 am

mbell wrote:Thanks Bill, Roger.

So its a plus 2 difference, on the Elan the master cylinder are in-front of the peddles operated by the "peddles" before their axis points. With the Brake and clutch reversed relative to the pedals, for space reasons.

The +2 has the master cylinders above the pedals, and operated by an extension of the pedals past the axis point. Therefore the master cylinders are installed facing in the opposite direction.They also no need to reverse which side they are on due to the extra space in the engine bay.

You learn something new every day.....

Yup!

I must look more closely at a Plus 2 engine bay next time I see one.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hongokongo » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:59 am

Sorry to hijack this topic, but is the servo shown in the first picture a Lockheed type or
Girling type? The reason I ask is that on my fairly newly acquired +2 I have the same problem. The servo is about five years old, but has hardly been used. It may be a Powertune RLE72696. I have cleaned the piston a couple of times with no success. I have also checked the angle, between 25 &45 degrees. What can I check next, or do I bite the bullet and get a new servo?
Hongokongo
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: