Fast road springs

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 am

Hi Rohan,
Why have a spacer above and below the bumpstops?
Surely, one larger one sitting on top of the strut would bring the bumpstops into play sooner?
I have ordered a metre of 56mm rod to cut some to size.
Would appreciate some direction for the sizing of a single spacer. The VW/Audi bumpstop is a couple of mm longer than the Aeon springs.
Cheers,
Colin.

quote="rgh0"]
Frogelan wrote:
What I do not know is...

- would it be better for the (aluminium) +2 bump spring spacer (not shown on the +2 suspension diagrams that I have seen) to be replaced by a machined nylon equivalent to avoid wear).
- are dush shields (shown above) necessary / useful ? Do they serve a secondary purpose ?

Ideas anyone ?

The original alloy bump stops had a lip so the could be crimped onto the top of the strut tube. They did not touch the rod so wear not a problem. i use them on the PLus2 still. On the Elan I fitted machined nylon that is a light fit on the damper rod as an alternative above and below the Aeon. These sit stationary on the damper rod and move slightly with the aeon compression, less unsprung weight :D

I removed the front dust shields on my Elan many years ago to aid cooling on the track, with no ill effects observed.

cheers
Rohan[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:16 am

I put a spacer top and bottom because I observed the Aeon rubber springs being damage by impact onto the small diameter top of the strut and on to the shaped spring upper seat. The polyurethane spacers could withstand the impact with the steel without damage and their softer larger flat faces matched and did not damage the Aeon top and bottom faces.

I also found some ready made polyurethane spacers of the right inner and outer diameter and thickness among the stock of poly bushes in a local auto shop at a cost of only a couple of dollars :D Put them on more than 30 years ago and they are still as good as new

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Thanks Rohan.
Colin.

quote="rgh0"]I put a spacer top and bottom because I observed the Aeon rubber springs being damage by impact onto the small diameter top of the strut and on to the shaped spring upper seat. The polyurethane spacers could withstand the impact with the steel without damage and their softer larger flat faces matched and did not damage the Aeon top and bottom faces.

I also found some ready made polyurethane spacers of the right inner and outer diameter and thickness among the stock of poly bushes in a local auto shop at a cost of only a couple of dollars :D Put them on more than 30 years ago and they are still as good as new

cheers
Rohan[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Vaughan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:56 am

Colin, thanks for the parts numbers and supply source, I'll order some tomorrow.

Cheers

Vaughan
Vaughan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: