Tires

PostPost by: terryrds » Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:19 pm

I've seen some discussion that the original steel rims should not be used tubeless, because the shape of the flange is wrong. Does everyone adhere to this? Would this apply to Minilite mags from the same era? Also, what US available brands and models do people like? From the Tire Rack site Yokohama Avid T4 or Sumitomo HTR 200 look like good candidates, or maybe Firestone Firehawk or BFG Comp TA. Any other suggestions? -Terry
terryrds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: llevey » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:07 pm

I have had no problems with air loss with the steel rims, even as beat up as they are. The tires have been removed and remounted twice for straightening and painting of the wheels. As far a tires are concerned, there is not much out there. I am running a set of Perelli P3s that are good under braking, cornering and queal under heavy acceleration, but they wont last forever
llevey
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:49 am

I found a great deal on some tubeless Michelins and (this is not an endorsement) shop around, buy an above average set of tires from Tire Discounters or Tire Rack etc; and drive hard...
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryrds » Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:19 am

In fact I have P3's on now, and they were great tires the last time I drove the car. Unfortunately that was in 1978, and they haven't aged well (unlike the driver of course). P3's are NLA, and the current P400's sound like more of a highway/touring tire, while the Yokohomas and Sumitomos are described as "performance". Anyone have experience with Minilites and street tires?-Terry
terryrds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:22 pm

All I would say is go as narrow as possible, and get a tyre with the older style "rounded edge" for maximum enjoyment and feel through the steering. Much more fun than the more modern square edge type tyre.
My 145 x 13" Dunlop SP6's on my S3 s/e drophead were absolutely wonderful, you could play the car like an instrument.
Please don't be tempted to go wider than 155 x 13 in a standard car, you'll ruin what Chapman intended.
Elans3
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Jan 28, 2004 9:13 pm

The 155x13x80 Dunlop SP10 are very good. I have them on my S4 dhc on the standard steel rims and I find they give good grip but still allow the car to move about. I did have some Michelin on but they were shocking no grip at all. :o
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryrds » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:57 pm

Thanks for the comments on narrow and rounded being better on road cars - understood and appreciated. But have you guys been tire shopping recently? Those sizes just don't seem to be available any more (at least on this side of the pond), and most of what is available has very square shoulders. So far best candidate seems to be Yokohama Avid Touring (not Avid T4's - square profile) 175/70/13 (I have 5" Minis on 1/2" spacers with mild flares). Nice round profile. I still have to check if the 6.7" section width will clear the rear springs. Unless someone can suggest a source with more options than Tire Rack? - Terry
terryrds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:11 pm

Have a look at <a href='http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/' target='_blank'>http://www.tyres-online.co.uk/</a> Not so good for supplier the wrong side of the pond but useful as a database of sizes available.

Funny you should mention 175/70/13 on 5" rims - As this is a set up I have been considering. What modifications did you have to do to get this size to fit? What wheel offset are you using?
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryrds » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:17 pm

Steve- These wheels came with the car, with no tires fitted. If I'm measuring correctly the offset is 4" (mounting surface to inboard face of the inboard flange=4". Let me know if I'm measuring wrong). As I said they're 13X5 Minilites and I'm using 1/2" spacers. I've got approx. 2" flares. A small portion of the outboard ends of the rear lower wishbones, and their bolt heads, were ground away to clear the inner flange of the wheels. It doesn't appear to have jeopardized the strength. With the P3's mounted (section width= 6.2") the tire clears the base of the spring by about 0.5". The The Avid Tourings that I want to put on have a section of 6.7", so if half the increase (0.25") goes to the inside, they would theoretically fit. It's getting close, though. I suppose I could put on more spacer. Supposedly the previous owner ran these wheels with some sort of race tires and no spacers or flares, but I can see where the tires were rubbing the spring bases. If I were starting from scratch, it seems like using wheels with less offset would work better. As far as I can tell and remember there were no problems at the front. Any way, the above set up with P3's was wonderfull- nice rounded shoulders gave that Elan feel that everyone talks about. But the current P400's have a 7" section and square shoulders. Almost everything I can get in 13" diameter has 7" or larger section. For what it's worth, Dave Bean's catalog says the Panasport 5X13 (looks just like Minilite) will fit without flares (doesn't indicate what the offset is).-Terry
terryrds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:29 pm

You should have a look at the Dunlop classic range www.dunloptyres.co.uk they do a 155x13 SP4 which has a 6.2" width. Thanks for the tips on wheel and tyre sizes. Sounds like you measure the offset correctly. Place a flat edge across the inside of the rim then measure down to the mounting surface i.e. the surface that mates with the hub.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: terryrds » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:17 pm

Thanks, I'll check that site, see if it's feasible to ship here. Forgot to point out that it's important to read the fine print on section width- different tires with the same nominal size can have different section widths, which is critical at the rear of the Elan.- Terry
terryrds
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gobw2 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:36 am

I understand why we want round shoulders, but why as narrow as possible?????

It seems that 155 or even 170 of the close to the same circumference might even increase cornering speeds. George 67 S3 :unsure:
gobw2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:35 am

I have Falken FK-07U, 165/70R13 on my original Minilites. No tubes, round shouldered and quite soft. Made in Japan and, I think, exported worldwide.
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:01 pm

Why narrow as possible? Keep to the original specification, I say.

Chapman designed the suspension components to work with the tyres available at that time. The result is handling and ride that was - and is - superb. You have only to read contempory road tests to realise what a revelation this was in the sixties, especially compared to competitors sports car offerings. Besides, staying standard makes for more fun, which is what driving the Elan is about, isn't it?
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:47 pm

By as narrow as possible, I obviously meant no bigger than the original 145's or 155's maximum, just as the last contributor has said. I see too many Elans with 165' x 13's or 175 x 70's on the standard rims, and apart from not looking original, it is a waste of money, and rubber, as the tyre rolls on the rim, and makes the car feel awful, and much less responsive to steering input.
Like I said, as Chapman intended !
Elans3
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next