Handbrake Tree Details

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:31 pm

I am trying to make a handbrake tree that can be removed more easily.

My old tree has the lever that attaches to the cable positioned at 90 degrees to the lever that connects to the handbrake rods. From some of the posts on this forum it appears that on later trees this angle has been altered, and is no longer 90 degrees. Does anyone know what this angle should be?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:22 am

I've seen images that show the cable lever with a bend in it which allows it to move rearwards about an inch or so, the bend stops it from hitting the chassis tube behind the diff.

I copied the principle when I made one a few years ago. The actual lever is still roughly 90deg. though and I can't say it's easier to remove. Adjustable rods are the biggest improvement, they work a treat.

Brian
Attachments
handbrake03.jpg
handbrake03.jpg (97.1 KiB) Viewed 2734 times
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:33 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:23 am

Ah, thanks John, I never realised the later one was also at an angle. That's quite a sweep on the arm as well, or at least it looks more than I put on mine.

What's the phrase ? "every day is a school day" ? :)
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:35 pm

Brian and John,

Thanks for the replies, I have seen a handbrake tree as you describe with the curve in it, and the angle between the two levers appears to be about 30 degrees, but was hoping to have that angle confirmed, rather than buy a tree that I don't want to use.

My design mod involves holding it together with pins rather than a bolt. If it works out I will let you all know.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:58 pm

While not answering your question, and I don't know which model car you have, I solved my handbrake problems decades ago by redrilling all the linkage holes in the original tree and its matching links and turning new pins to fit them closely.

At the caliper I had originally had a bush made to match the the outer end of the pull rod to it's lever but it made little difference. But repinning the tree links has worked perfectly for 35 years without attention, just smother the tree joints with grease.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: