Lotus Elan

Tyre question?

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:28 pm

Keith Scarfe wrote:So Mike what did you end up getting after all that? What are you running on now?

I am currently trying to decide what to get for my new Miller wheels. Do I go for the Longstone Pirelli's at £400 a set? or re use my current Vedrestrain's (a bit old now) or get some modern shopping car tyres?

Are the Cinturato really better than modern tyres? Can anyone on here give an real world unbiased view? What difference would I notice?

I know you cannot consider me unbiased. However the point isn't that they are better than modern tyres. Modern tyres are better in the right environment. However on your car the Cinturato are better because they are a carcass that is designed to go with your kind of car. so the design is more suited.

they are also Pirellli. which in my mind are one of the worlds best tyre manufacturers. these Classsioc tyres they are making are designed aas a promotional job as well as profit making so the quality is the muts nuts.

To my knowledge there is not another H rated 145R13 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirell ... -ca67.html

I have them on my Elite, and they are epic!
Attachments
img_0486.jpg and
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:41 pm

I am not a track driver, but use my +2 regularly. I changed this summer from my old minilites to refurbed steels fitted with 185/70 x13 Uniroyals, as I have used this type for the last few sets when running the 14" minilites. I have never tried anything exotic from Michelin, but I can say the tyres I have used feel pretty good to me... and last around 25k miles to the wear indicators. It takes a bit of messing about with tyre pressures to get them to feel right, but then they work for me. At around 30 quid a wheel fitted, that seems a bargain to me. On reflection, going to 185 on the steels may be a bit excessive, so I will have to try and wear them out faster than the last set...

In the meantime the Minilites have been refurbed and are in use over Winter, and fitted with 175/65 x14" Tyres. These feel better (more nimble) at lower speeds - 185 may be over-tyred.

Picture attached for comparison.

Just a thought, if I had always used the tyres described as the 'Mutts Nuts' over the last ten years, I would be nearly 12grand (UK) out of pocket....

Jeremy
Attachments
minilite-vs-steels.jpg and
JJDraper
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: dougal cawley » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm

Hi

Yep genuine period tyres do cost more i'm afraid. and it isn't ever going to work out if price is the main determining factor when choosing a tyre im afraid. but i think an interesting pointer is that the 175 section feel nicer and more nimble to drive on. I would suggest nimbleness was very much part of the joy of an Elan. on top of the thinner section being noiocer when you have a period carcass as well that nimbleness will be enhanced even more.
dougal cawley
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: