Page 3 of 11

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 am
by pereirac
... Chapman also liked to keep costs down as well if I remember correctly :D

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:44 am
by Mazzini
dougal cawley wrote:"Why did Colin Chapman not fit low profile tyres to the Elan?"

Probably because they were not available. The Elite, Elan, and Europa used 80 series tires. 155-15, 145-13, 155-13, 165-13.


Nope! It is because they did not handle as well on wider low profile tyres. (and possibly because they were heavier too.)


So when did low profile tyres come out? I thought it was around '68 or '69, but I could be wrong.

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:14 pm
by types26/36
Mazzini wrote:So when did low profile tyres come out? I thought it was around '68 or '69, but I could be wrong.

The 1970's according to this link;
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... evolution/

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:51 pm
by Mazzini
Thanks for that, I must confess I thought low profile tyres came towards the end of the sixties. I remember reading an article in a motoring mag in the early 70's which said something along the lines of an Aston DB4 GT put as much rubber on the ground as a couple of big men's shoes, but low profiles were THE giant 'step' (groan) forward .

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:02 pm
by pereirac
:D F1 tyres are not very low profile either ... unless this is because they need room for sponsors logos?

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:45 pm
by pauljones
I thought F1 tyres were the way they are to allow them to hold more expensive hydrogen?

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm
by alan.barker
Maybe Nitrogen :wink:
Alan

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm
by pereirac
Hydrogen would make them go with a real 'bang' .. but would make the cars lighter :-)

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 pm
by 661
Dougal, whilst we have your attention....
Is there a tyre that would come to mind for a full out race Elan but to be used on a track day where tyre regs didn't apply?
6" rims , dry conditions.
I was leaning towards Avon CR6ZZs

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 pm
by pauljones
Well spotted.
I blame predictive text, nitrogen is what i meant.

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:26 am
by Gray
The Europa TC used 70 series tyres from 1971, different sizes front and rear.
I've used 165/70/13 on S4 and Sprints in the past with good results, albeit slightly lower gearing. Rear strut and front anti roll bar clearance have to be watched. I'm building my current S4 with Spyder supension, 14 inch wheels and 26R arches.
I've always understood 165 is the maximum size recommended for 4.5 inch rims. Does anyone know what is the latest manufacturers' guidance on maximum tyre size for 4.5 inch rims?

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:20 am
by rgh0
661 wrote:Dougal, whilst we have your attention....
Is there a tyre that would come to mind for a full out race Elan but to be used on a track day where tyre regs didn't apply?
6" rims , dry conditions.
I was leaning towards Avon CR6ZZs


If you want to be quick use Formula Ford front tyres

cheers
Rohan

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 am
by dougal cawley
Hi

in 1968 Porsche 911 and Jaguar XJ6 were fitting 70% profile tyres. Jaguar with the SP Sport https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalo ... gory/9119/ and Porsche with the Cinturato CN36 https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/pirell ... /cn36.html (Although I have also had a 911 owner swearing blind that when he bought his 911 in 1967 it came with a 185/70VR15 Cinturato CN36)

The CN36 is the tread tyre where Pirellii now make a 175/70VR13. there is an article on this page https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... guide.html about an independed back to back classic tyre test that you might find interesting..

Personally However i wouldn't fit 70 profile tyres on my Elan unless i was just using it as a race aacr, but i would do a series of modifications to the car as well to make them suit.

I would use 155HR13 XAS FF https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalo ... gory/8918/

or

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/175-70 ... cr6zz.html CR6ZZ

However if you are going to get involved in drastically modifying the car their maybe more modern racing tyre carcasses that might work well. and return better lap times. what i deal in is specialty tyres that work well with a classic car. But when a car is dramatically modified the features that work with an old car become irrelevant

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:52 pm
by 661
rgh0 wrote:
661 wrote:Dougal, whilst we have your attention....
Is there a tyre that would come to mind for a full out race Elan but to be used on a track day where tyre regs didn't apply?
6" rims , dry conditions.
I was leaning towards Avon CR6ZZs


If you want to be quick use Formula Ford front tyres

cheers
Rohan


2 are quoted in the Avon motorsport section:



Formula Ford

Avon Tyres Motorsport offers two specific Formula Ford tyres control tyres for historic and modern cars. Both tyres are used world wide as championship control tyres to provide a high level of standardised grip and performance that a Formula Ford car needs.

:Motorsport - :Formula Ford
ACB10
Modern control Formula Ford tyre

:Motorsport: Historic - :Formula Ford :Racing all weather
ACB9
Historical racing Formula Ford tyre.



Have you tried either?
You say 'fronts', but presumably you mean the set?

Re: Tyre question?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:54 pm
by MarkDa
Presumably FF front tyres all round on Elan?