Adjustable Rear - Original Springs

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:18 pm

+2
Are adjustable perches available for the original springs?

I'd rather keep it original if possible, especially as I already have 2 new springs.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm

Vince,

A few years ago I bought rear suspension 'uprights' from Spyder complete with the item you need. The originals are a pressing whilst the Spyder item has been fabricated, welded together from several parts. On the original, the pressing on top and bottom is basically the same with a different size and shape of hole. The top item is often damaged, the 'D' shaped hole has become round, but can be bored out and used as a bottom item for an adjustable application.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:34 am

If you install adjustable perches and keep your new springs, your car will sit higher because of the minimal height of the perches. I would not mess with shortening them (it's going to be tricky to get the flat right), so if the goal is to retain the stock stiffness you may want to get them in a shorter length to accomodate the body height range you want (you may want to check the new travel range with the projected adjustable setup to make sure the limits are where you want them to).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:47 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Vince,
A few years ago I bought rear suspension 'uprights' from Spyder complete with the item you need.
Richard Hawkins

I'll give them a call (although it goes against the grain a bit) and see if I can just get the threaded tube and lock nut. All teh other bits seem OK.

oldelanman wrote:TTR do a kit ......
https://www.tonythompsonracing.co.uk/pa ... ar-springs
I take it that is for a pair?

It might be more economical going to 2.25 springs as the adjustable bits are, seemingly,
much cheaper. https://www.tonythompsonracing.co.uk/pa ... -i-y-pair/

nmauduit wrote:If you install adjustable perches and keep your new springs, your car will sit higher because of the minimal height of the perches.

I don't really understand what you are warning me of. The threaded tube is quite long and I assume I can weld it on whereever?? The perches could be lowered substantially. Am I missing something?
438-oct.-11-14.08.jpg and
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi Vince,
With adjustable Spring perches, the new springs will need to be flat at both ends. The original perches have recesses to accommodate the ends of the original springs.
In regard to 2.25" springs, you will be unable to use the original Aon rubber springs with this size Spring. Perhaps new springs and perches of 70mm would be a better size. Drop a note to Rohan, he is up with what works best.
Cheers,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: