Remove rear damper

PostPost by: chris1977 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:48 pm

Hello

please can somebody helps me with my rear damper, i?d tried to remove the damper but i cant get themout from the hub casting! what can i do?

chris
chris1977
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:49 pm

Not sure what you are attempting to do but you do not need to remove the strut tube from the casting to get the damper out. It's held in the tube by a large cap nut at the top, the damper shaft passes through it.

rear-damper-retaining-nut.jpg and
Damper top nut - OE type

If you have replacement damper inserts the top cap may look a little different but the principle is the same.

The strut tube is pressed into the hub casting and you will need to heat the casting if you want to remove/replace the tube.
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:51 am

My understanding of what Chris is trying to do is remove the damper from the hub / steel tube assembly.

The first thing to do is to undo the steel retaining collar at the top as Roger states and shows. The only thing that prevents the damper from then being removed is stiction / suction / interference fit of the bottom of the damper in the steel tube.

So, pull out the damper rod to its fullest extent. Fit a large nut to the top of the threaded rod and grip the nut in a large vice, holding onto the bottom of the alloy housing and PUUUUUULLLL hard and out it will come.

Be careful that you do not get oil all over your shoes, as that is what the strut should be full of and replaced with when you put it back together.

Good luck with it.

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: chris1977 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes thanks a lot, the dumper are out, i had to work about half an hour ech damper to get them out.

Chris
chris1977
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: prezoom » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Chris, When you refit the dampers, fill the remaining void in the tube with some oil, I use automatic transmission fluid. This will help with heat transfer from the damper and make removal much easier next time.
Rob Walker
26-4889
50-0315N
1964 Sabra GT
1964 Elva Mk4T Coupe (awaiting restoration)
1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero, 302,AOD,9",rack and pinion,disc,etc,etc,etc
1954 Nash Healey LeMans Coupe

Owning a Lotus will get you off the couch
prezoom
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: