Handbrake tree pin?

PostPost by: David1953 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Having totally dismantled the car it is almost time to start reassembly, and now the questions start.

My handbrake tree separated into two parts with the pin still in the top part. Looking at drawings in previous posts I can see a threaded pin that I should be able unscrew.
But looking at what I have I see what looks like a bush / sleeve around the pin and no sign of a thread.
handbrake_tree.jpg and
pin_base.jpg and
pin_top.jpg and

Does anyone recognise this?
I am not sure if I should still be trying to unscrew, or press out.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elanman99 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Its not like any other Elan handbrake tree I have ever seen and it looks like like a one off.

It may be that there is a thread inside the cylindrical body. Maybe its seized, the Lotus part has the threaded spindle inside a blind hole to water cannot enter. Does your spindle rotate, also what does the bit affixed to the chassis look like?

Ian
68 Elan S4 DHC. Built in a weekend from a kit (just like the advert said)
Elanman99
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:13 pm

That is the early hand brake tree. As you have discovered, they were troublesome. I have one in perfect condition that I will be putting on flea bay after I make up a replacement. Someone, I believe sells one made of stainless. or maybe that is my imagination since I planned on making one up of that material.

Kurt
26/3754
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nomad » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:16 pm

Oh, and yes, you can press that apart and reweld it if you wish.

Kurt
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:35 pm

nomad wrote:That is the early hand brake tree. As you have discovered, they were troublesome.

Kurt
26/3754

That part looks in fine condition, don't dismantle it. It just drops into the centre of the thick rod pivoting in the chassis which allows it to self centre between the calipers. When left dry, like mine were, all the holes wear oval.

My handbrake didn't work at all for 12 years until, in 1980, I redrilled all three holes and their matching pull rods together, oversize, and turned new pins to just fit those holes. (I had already done something similar with the ends of the transverse rods where they link to the calipers). Possiblly an over-kill but smothered with grease I haven't had to touch them since (120,000 miles driven). Provided the click adjuster on the caliper is set properly I can undo the wheel nuts against the handbrake's grip.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 am

Thanks all.
A quick press and the pin came out fine, and the bushes at each end are still reasonable round. A quick trip to a better equipped friend and it is now braised back in the base rod.
A coat of paint and it will be back in the chassis any time now....
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: