Front springs not fitting.

PostPost by: 661 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:08 pm

Could someone please measure their front turret internal width and the width of their springs?

My front turret internal width is 78.7 mm but the external width of the springs are 81.04mm.
The upper spring platform is 76.9mm wide and fits snuggly.
img_0578.jpg and

img_0584.jpg and

img_0585.jpg and
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: David1953 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:10 pm

My old (original?) springs are 65mm, and the dust shield increases that to 70mm.
The width of my suspension turret gap is around 73mm.
David1953
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 pm

TTR sells two widths of front shocks and springs looks like you have the bigger ones that require mods to the Turrets

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:33 am

rgh0 wrote:TTR sells two widths of front shocks and springs looks like you have the bigger ones that require mods to the Turrets

cheers
Rohan

Bugger!
I'll speak to TTR
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:51 am

Dont ask me how I know and return postage and new shipment is a lot more expensive from Australia !!! :oops:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Graeme
I had to grind the inner faces our the turret slightly the 26R chassis that was damage in the accident. I've bought the double adjustable Koni's with the smaller 1.9" spring diameter from memory this time which are legal here in Australia but no longer legal in Europe. I use Eibach springs and have not yet bought and fitted them.

Which set did you purchase for TTR?

Do drop me some more shots of the cage, I'm in middle of modifying my custom built cage to get a cross dash bar fitted behind the dash.

Cheers

V
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:53 am

vstibbard wrote:Hi Graeme
I had to grind the inner faces our the turret slightly the 26R chassis that was damage in the accident. I've bought the double adjustable Koni's with the smaller 1.9" spring diameter from memory this time which are legal here in Australia but no longer legal in Europe. I use Eibach springs and have not yet bought and fitted them.

Which set did you purchase for TTR?

Do drop me some more shots of the cage, I'm in middle of modifying my custom built cage to get a cross dash bar fitted behind the dash.

Cheers

V

Hi Vaughan , I'll email you
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Graeme,

I have just measured my spring outside diameter at 66.5mm, and the gap in my turret at 70mm. Of corse I don't know what the dimensions should be. The chassis is a Lotus replacement and I think the springs are original. Remember that the springs are not vertical, but at an angle, so I am not sure if the whole diameter is required to fit in the turret.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:55 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Graeme,

Remember that the springs are not vertical, but at an angle, so I am not sure if the whole diameter is required to fit in the turret.

Richard Hawkins

That fooled me for a while when I was fitting some new Spax dampers / springs last year. The spring was fractionally too wide to fit in the turret and I considered having to grind some clearance, but once fastened to the lower wishbone it was obvious it didn't need to.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:13 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Graeme,

I have just measured my spring outside diameter at 66.5mm, and the gap in my turret at 70mm. Of corse I don't know what the dimensions should be. The chassis is a Lotus replacement and I think the springs are original. Remember that the springs are not vertical, but at an angle, so I am not sure if the whole diameter is required to fit in the turret.

Richard Hawkins

Thank you for doing that, Richard.
I think the answer lies in what Rohan has said, there is a wider racing spring and shock.I have had an instruction sheet sent from TTR showing the part of the turret that needs taking back. As you point out this will only be at the very top of where the spring rests as that is the only part which is exposed to the full diameter of the spring.
Thanks all.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:38 pm

Hi Graham
Does tjhat weaken the turret or is it just pushed out to get clearance?
Cheers
Dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:40 pm

When using TTR larger dia front springs also check clearance with the top wishbone pin that goes through the turret, I had to enlarge the recess in the pin to clear the spring,
Also welded a small plate each side side of the turret to strengthen where the side of the turret was ground out to allow clearance of the spring.

Regards
Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:56 pm

batfish wrote:When using TTR larger dia front springs also check clearance with the top wishbone pin that goes through the turret, I had to enlarge the recess in the pin to clear the spring,
Also welded a small plate each side side of the turret to strengthen where the side of the turret was ground out to allow clearance of the spring.

Regards
Andy

Thanks Andy,
I've done some measuring and no doubt the pin recess needs some removing as well.
I've come to learn how to translate the TTR fitting instructions. When they read'may need to be adapted', you can read it as 'it doesn't in anyway fit and will need a load of fettling'.

Dave,
The inner fold around in the turret needs to be removed for a length of approximately 6cm. It's not ideal, but I can't see it would make much, if any,difference in strength, but it does seem to allow a route for dirt/water to ingress so I may TIG - up the gap which is formed. I note Andy's comment about fixing an addition support on the outside of the turret. I can't convince myself this is need on the grounds of strength, but who knows?

img_0590.jpg and

I had a fiddle last night but won't be able to finish the work until the weekend.
It needs tidying but as you can see the width is now adequate, but as Andy says the depth needs the spindle to be carved out.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:26 pm

Just for reference, spax shocks with standard diameter springs fitted have plenty of clearance as in the photo.
Attachments
43b23e70-3c52-40a7-b481-a9c191b621d0.jpeg and
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: