Adjustable Rear Spring Height - Part 2

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Following on from -
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=43804

I've started to trial fit the bits together and, apart from the usual fettling, initial results are promising .
As hoped, dropping the seat down allows the spring / top plate / lotocone to fit without needing a spring compressor. This with NOS springs which are a good inch longer than teh old ones. Bravo!

s3140003.jpg and

Note no Aeon thing yet, so far that has bravely resisted at attempt to get it in place. Battle will resume shortly. I was planning to fit motorcycle type gaiters but this has been shown to be a Bad Idea. It will compress twixt alloy spacer and Aeon so putting the mockers on the whole plan. Shame, it looked neat. And sealed the end of the alloy tube ( after a fashion - in true Lotus style.)

s3120007.jpg and

The alloy tube spins easily (at the moment) and may even contribute to stiffening the (remarkable thin) damper tube. Maybe even aid cooling?

Bearings next. So talk about stiffening, I think a quick sample of single malt may be required.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:08 pm

Vince
I used a couple of Fairy Liquid bottles cut to size ala motorcycle dampers , had to trawl the cheapo stores looking for the right sizes that were a nice sliding fit in each other....nowadays they're all funny shapes.
Certainly kept the road muck at bay...

2015_0610rearplates0008.jpg and

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Genuine Fairy Liquid - shows how they live up North. In the poor old Chilterns we can only afford
cheapo Tesco stuff. Would that be OK?

I have the original rubber tube shrouds but, naturally, they don't fit the Aeons. (Stretched or maybe never did?)

As it happens I used to know the chap that originally designed the Fairy "baby". He got something like a half penny for every time the image was used. A very nice earner!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:38 pm

I've fitted both struts now and used a wooden "clamp" to hold the damper rod still.

s3400003.jpg and

s3400002.jpg and

As the spring winds right down I did not need a compressor and with the clamp holding the damper rod,
it was a simple matter to temp. attached the A arm, swing the strut into position and jack it into place.

Worked a treat!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:36 am

Hasn?t been out for 8 years so must be time to roll this one out again:

Gervase owned one of those fresh seafood restaurants, you know the type where you go in and choose your fish from the tank and it is prepared for you there and then. Well Gervase?s fish supplier came in to restock the tanks one day looking all dishevelled and rough and proceeded to put this vile looking green squid into the fish tank. Gervase looked at the squid and complained to the fisherman that he wouldn?t be able to sell such an ugly looking thing saying ?its so ugly its even got a moustache?. The fisherman said ?look I?ve had a bad day, I?ll make it up to you next time? and that he could have the squid free of charge.

Well Gervase was right and the squid took up residence in the fish tank and whilst all the other fish were chosen by customers, prepared and eaten the little squid remained untouched. Eventually Gervase had even become fond of him and treated him like a pet.

One day a bunch of yobs came into the restaurant and ordered their food, one of them demanded the squid. Gervase tried to explain that it wasn?t for sale and that it was more of a pet but the yob persisted and under threat of having his restaurant smashed up Gervase removed the squid from the tank and took it to the kitchen to prepare it for cooking.

Gervase placed it on a chopping board raised his cleaver but the little squid looked up at him with a mournful tear in its eye and Gervase could not deal the fateful blow. He turned to Hans the kitchen porter an ex german paratrooper to come and prepare the little squid. Hans too raised the cleaver and again a tear welled in the eye of the little squid and Hans could not do the deed either. Which all goes to prove:

Hans that do dishes can feel soft as Gervase with vile green hairy lip squid!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 am

Hmm, that?s one from way back. Doesn?t really get any better with time though :lol: :lol:
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:07 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Hans that do dishes can feel soft as Gervase with vile green hairy lip squid!

Are you still on medication Steve?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:45 pm

Yep and lots of it. I rattle like a dice box!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Fri May 29, 2020 5:47 pm

Once in Busan, RoK, I was served this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2zDvz5Y6p8

My Korean colleague beamed and said 'fresh'

I said nothing as my jaw was hanging open.

He looked at me, then the waiter and said 'take them away and fry them'
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: