Tyre choices

PostPost by: Andiken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 am

Morning all, I know this is opening a can of worms but I need to ask, what is the tyre of choice in terms of make, model and size for my '73 plus 2 130s please?

I've been looking at the Avon CR6ZZ, Pirelli Cinturato CN36 and the Michelin XAS.

I was going to move from 165 to 175 but was also wondering about 185. I don't want to go too wide and upset/make the steering heavier.

Thanks.
Andiken
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:24 am

165 80 R13 is the standard size. I find the car handles fine on this width and turns in incredibly quickly.

If you go wide the issue is more about fouling the springs rather than loss of feel (as I understand it). But do you really need more grip?

Have you priced up your three options and if so what is the cost for a set of each? Asking because I'm interested myself (the PO of my car fitted the wrong profile tyres). If money was no barrier I'd get the Michelins.

Have you considered the Blockley tyres? About half the price of Michelins with a similar tread pattern. Only problem with them is they seem to be exempt from showing performance stats (noise, dry grip, wet grip) so it's hard to compare with other tyres.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andiken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:18 am

I haven't yet priced my options as I've not found anywhere locally that I can get them supplied and fitted. I'll have a look today to see what I can find. I have also been pointed at Blockley tyres. I'm happy to stay with the standard 165's as I want to keep the feel of the car right.
Andiken
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 am

I recently fitted Uniroyal Rainmaster 165 x13 to my ?S130 and have been very happy with them. They look right and fill the wheel arches nicely. The steering felt lighter. I think I paid about 45 euros each, plus fitting.
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andiken » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:54 am

That's good to know, I run rainmasters on my Midget and am pleased with them, I'll add them to the list for pricing.
Andiken
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stuart » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Hi Andy

David has a tyre machine and balancer in the back of his van, he can also supply you tyres of your choice
Give him a ring when you know what you want

regards
Stuart
stuart
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 pm

Longstone tyres are worth a web visit to get an opinion.
Some old style carcasses and patterns available with new compounds to get looks and performance.
No affiliation.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: PhilatHooton » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 pm

After much deliberation and searching last year i opted for some Kumho Solus KH17 165x80 R13 T for my +2S130. and they have proved excellent. Great grip and feel in the dry. They look good also. Can't comment on wet weather performance !
All four fitted for under ?190
PhilatHooton
New-tral

PostPost by: MarkDa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:09 pm

Again with the Kumho we're up against the speed rating not being H.
I'm living with that because max speed isn't a real issue and the lower weight of our cars reduces the other running stresses compared to modern cars.
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:14 am

That's interesting. My tyres are KH17s but wrong profile and I have been looking for a Kumho dealer to see if I could get the right size fitted. Yes they have good grip in the dry but my experience so far indicates they're not so good in the wet.

So anyway.. Kumho dealers in the South East?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MarkDa » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:33 am

They appear to be readily available through usual supply only firms for local fitting.
Probably easier than travelling to a stockist?
MarkDa
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am

I've had problems with online supplier / local fitting purchases in the past. One local fitter who the online supplier listed as a partner didn't want to do it because they said they are not covered if they accidentally damage the wheel. In fact he said they were never partners of the online firm in the first place!

Apparently if they supply and fit, the additional profit helps them feel better with the risk. Sounds like a bunch of cr@p to me but I wasn't in a good negotiating position having already bought the tyres.

The other thing is the cost. They are charging a tenner a tyre to fit and it takes them <5 mins per tyre. I object to that...
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:43 am

You and me both with the cost of fitting. I've had the local tyre depot tell me much the same - 'it's liability mate' when I enquired about fitting stuff I'd bought. The Land Rover bloke next door (who gets our LR repair work) did it for me for ?10 for all 4. Having said that the tyre business are actually not bad on price even compared to on line so if I buy through them the actual cost of fitting (online price minus local price) is only around a couple of quid each. I only use the on line co's for motorcycle tyres these days as I fit those myself.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: baileyman » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 am

MarkDa wrote:Again with the Kumho we're up against the speed rating not being H.
I'm living with that because max speed isn't a real issue and the lower weight of our cars reduces the other running stresses compared to modern cars.

I am trying to remember what a tire insider had to say about ratings. It was something along these lines:

The tire companies specify the rating they want. Then they pay a lab to do the testing to that level. If it meets those specifications, it is a success, the rating is earned, and the testing stops. Thus the rating does not say how capable a tire is, only that it hurdles a minimum specification. And the tire companies choose a rating for marketing purposes. Under the skin, most tires are far better constructed than back in the day. And finally (for my memory), it's the number of plies that correlate with quality, regardless of rating.

Anyway, that's what I recall.
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:04 pm

hi andi (?) as ?? is not yr main criteria - why don't you get a set of a539 yokohamas 175x 60x13 - pretty close to semi slicks but cheap and excellent! Sandy elan s3 since 1981
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: