stock springs or TTR fast road springs?

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:00 pm

I am getting ready to buy springs for my S3 with 145/13 verdestein radials. I have gotten the impression that the stock springs are pretty soft with modern rubber. Should I stick with stock springs or go with TTR fast road springs?

Thanks,
Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:15 pm

when talking about high grip modern rubber, it is about semi slick that would best express themselves on the track (Yokohama A048 etc), the narrow Vredestein would not fit in that category so you should not be concerned about these tires for the selections of your springs (actually, the logical thing to do would be more decide what the car is for - road or track, then decide the springs, then decide the tires)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:14 pm

I like my fast road springs because I can adjust them. Full soft for daily. Full hard for autocross. Someone in between for spirited driving. I also think it gives potential future owners more options. FWIW. Dan
collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:52 pm

Thanks for the input guys. This car is for street use, but I enjoy pushing it when the conditions are right!

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:56 pm

I think we may be confusing adjustable dampers with spring rates. The TTR Fast Road spring/damper setup allows you to adjust the damper valving which softens/stiffens that aspect, but the spring rate is not adjustable. Are you looking for feedback just on the latter which is available separately, or on the suspension package?

-John
JohnCh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 pm

I was looking for input on the spring rates. If I go the TTR route I may look at their shocks as well. I have Koni shocks now and need to replace the springs. I wasn't sure if stock springs will feel overly soft with modern stock size street radials.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:22 pm

I was looking for input on the spring rates. If I go the TTR route I may look at their shocks as well. I have Koni shocks now and need to replace the springs. I wasn't sure if stock springs will feel overly soft with modern stock size street radials.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JohnCh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm

I have the TTR setup on my car along with a Kelvedon 22mm tubular ARB and 155/80-13 Michelin XAS FF. Big caveat here: I've never driven a stock Elan and I have a preference for stiffer ride and handling -- all my cars have modified suspensions. However, for me, the combination is perfect. Not too harsh, not too soft in the corners, lots of feel, and a shocking amount of stick given the size of the tires. Some will tell you the Elan is legendary for it's brilliant blend of ride and handling, and that adding stiffer springs and dampers is an egregious affront to Colin Chapman's memory. I'm not one of those people :D

-John
JohnCh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bitsobrits » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:13 am

My first two Elans had totally stock suspension, and they handled superbly and were very comfortable, ride wise. My 3rd one had a super stiff track oriented set up-very which was harsh on the street. More skitter than grip on a dusty road.

Then I discovered the 'fast road' concept. "Jussst right".

These days I find a stock Elan to have much more body roll in cornering than I find comfortable, though again, they do stick and handle very well.
Steve

Elan S1 1963-Bourne bodied
Elan S3 1967 FHC pre airflow

Formerly:
Elan S1 1964
Elan S3 1966 FHC pre airflow
Elan S3 1967 FHC airflow
Elan S4 1969 FHC
Europa S2 1970
Esprit S2 1979
bitsobrits
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:50 am

I installed TTR fast road adjustable shocks & springs on my S1 and was very happy with the result. It?s a firmer ride, but not overly so. Lucky I have an S2 that is completely stock to compare the ride to. The S2 is softer and leans more into corners, but I like the S1?s handling much more. Don?t get the 8 inch front springs (the chassis will sit too low for road use), get the 10 inch springs.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rcombs » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the input. I was afraid that the TTR fast road might be a little too stiff, but that doesn't seem to be the case. If I go that way I feel more confident with your input.

Rick
rcombs
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:26 pm

The first step is to fit a stiffer front roll bar while retaining standard suspension. On the road this gets better body roll control and grip with modern road tyres without any significant change in ride quality
cheers
Rohan.
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: William2 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:24 pm

I have fitted TTR fast road springs and adjustable dampers all round and set to the softest setting. Not surprisingly the ride is markedly stiffer than standard set up but the handling is even better than stock Elan. I have driven my car on 200 mile round trips and do not find the ride too harsh.
William2
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: