Reduced droop shock length

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:54 am

vstibbard wrote:Thank you both, Rohan I look forward to the measurements, 50mm seems a lot but then there is a lot of travel.
What height spacer do you use with the aeon bump stop?
Cheers
Vaughan

Hi Vaughan
On full droop with the TTR Koni reduced droop shocks the distance from the top of the spring cap to the top of the flat plate screw in top to the strut is 150mm. I have a 10mm spacer above and 10 mm below the Aeon to bring it in quicker. The later Plus 2s have a 20mm or 25mm alloy spacer ( I have seen both) fitted to the top of the strut

My suspension normal ride height for racing is about 15mm lower than standard also so the Aeon comes in quicker than on a normal road setup and this keeps the roll stiffness front and rear well matched with 250 lb/in front springs and 22 mm roll bar and 150 lb/in rear springs, no need for rear roll bar with this setup. I suspect the later S2 26Rs that used a rear roll bar because they went to smaller diameter springs and removed the Aeons ?... but that just my speculation as I have never seen any full documentation on the Aeons in 26Rs

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:26 am

Hi Vaughan,

On the thread drift.......Gilly and I packed up Dec 20, but came back for the vaccine clinics, which we did until May 2021. I still do a few hours a month as a 'medical referee', which involves nothing onerous.
We have a puppy and a campervan and a small appt in Switzerland so we are intending on doing a lot of travelling once things open up.
The 26GTS covered itself in glory in its first season. If only the driver could match. Didn't miss a beat and seemed to do everything asked of it. Sadly, I'm less competitive, but loved every minute. In winter refresh at present. I think I'll get 2 seasons out of the engine before a rebuild.
I have a race Caterham too, which is great for doing track day sighters before races.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Hethel_Haus » Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:18 pm

How much shock travel do I need to allow for? I will be installing CV driveshafts and as advised by TTR, I also have Koni adjustable sport shocks to install. Fitted without springs for test fit-up, my lower a-arms drop approx. 8 degrees off horizontal with these shocks.
Low Droop Shock.jpg and

I have both original AEON rubber bump stops or Powerflex poly stops to install along with the lower aluminum bump stops which are 1-1/4" high. The photos below show a max. travel gap of 2.1" on the Koni set-up using AEON bump stops and 3.5" with the shorter Powerflex poly stops.
Koni with Aeon.jpg and

Koni with Poly.jpg and

I also have a set of SPAX Krypton shocks which are roughly 2 inches longer for the strut travel but of course would give lower droop with the SV joints.
Koni vs Spax.jpg and

So my question is whether 2 inches of shock travel will be adequate for a Plus 2? I plan to set up the shocks on soft settings for comfortable road travel using the original 4 inch springs on standard hub perches.
And p.s. to all of you experts out there looking at the photos, I do know that I need to re-route my copper brake line since it will interfere with dropping the body back on the frame. I just haven't gotten to it yet!
Steve
'73 Elan +2S 130/5 Cabriolet
Hethel_Haus
First Gear
First Gear

Previous

Total Online: