Overall Width At The Tires

PostPost by: brandon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:28 pm

Well, I'm getting ready to pick up my first Elan. I'll be sure to give all the details once it's in my garage, but for now I don't want to jinx anything. At the moment I'm looking for a trailer to transport it home. I'm considering purchacing a utility trailer for the job, as the car isn't quite capable of towing a full size car trailer. Plus I'm quite sure I'll need the use of a trailer during the restoration.

I'm aware that the track of the Elan is 47" and the overall width is 56". The trailer I am looking at is 54" wide, with removable sides and will easily take the length of the car. Is there anyone who might be able to measure outside of tire to outside of tire distance for me? I'd like to make sure it will actually GO on this trailer before I purchace it. The rims and tires look to be stock equipment for a 64', and the car has not been driven in 20 years.

Thanks
brandon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DrEntropy » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:07 pm

I measure it at 4' 9" (57") with hubcaps included ;-} add another inch for knock-offs? Too close fer my taste. Tying it down so tight it can't "give" a bit side-to-side could be a trick. IMHO: Look for a trailer with a bit more width, so as to leave the sides on.

HTH
Dr E--
mhm 17x1
'67 S-3 DHC
'69 +2
'64 MGB
'78 Alfa Spider
'84 300D Turbo
DrEntropy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: richboyd » Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:38 am

The 47 inch track you cite is center-of-tire to center-of-tire. You have to allow for tire width, and that depends on the tire. Allow five or six additional inches of tire tread - more at the sidewall.

And the rear track on an S1 or S2 is 48.5 inch (47 inch at front only). Add six inches of tread and you are just over your 54 inch trailer width. Add five inchs of tread and you are just under your 54 inch trailer. Awfully close!!! Can you steer a car that straight?
richboyd
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: brandon » Thu Mar 25, 2004 1:01 am

Hmm, so close and yet...

Other than the 6" lack in width, this trailer is just about "perfect". I'm wondering if I might be able to build the trailer out slightly. Any recommendations on how close I should cut it?
brandon
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: