unequal spring lengths

PostPost by: JeffP » Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:14 pm

I' m rebuilding the chassis of my 1969 Elan Plus2. I've fitted spyder CV conversion drive shafts and new rear dampers from TTR. I used the old springs. The length of my springs are different on either side. The the left it is 12 inches from base of spring cup to top of chassis mount on the other side it is 13.5 inches.

The actual spring length on the left is about 10 inches on the right it is 11 inches. During fitting the spring on the left needed significant more compression to get everything to fit.

I'm pretty sure the springs were on equal length at the start.

I would be grateful for any comments on what has gone wrong (if anything) and what i need to do to remedy it.

Many thanks
JeffP
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:29 am

Maybe a daft comment, but, it could account for drivers weight. If the longer springs are fitted on drivers side.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:59 am

I'm uncertain if someone has changed the platform heights as a crude corner weighting, but either way, springs are a wear item and I just wouldn't put the old ones back. Depending on your thoughts on originality I'd be suggesting adjustable platforms too.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Jun 19, 2023 8:38 am

Hi

New springs time for sure. Nothing worse than a car that does not sit level. I have nothing against old springs as such if they are the same length and rate. I have used old ones before to get the ride height I wanted, but I had seen them on the plus 2 they came from and it sat just right.

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:09 pm

Length of damper rod, one un-modified!
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: