Keep or dump Steel wheels?

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:50 am

Hello,

I would like to put my original steel rims (13x4'5J) back on my Elan S3. I need to have them rebuilt first because they are warped with the balancer. I've read a bit about these light metal rims, which I find well suited to the original look, not to mention the fact that I don't have to adjust anything on the car compared to some aftermarket aluminium rims...
Some people say that despite the unveiling, these rims are no longer really usable (dents that come back after a few miles, chronic fragility). Note that I don't ride on tracks, I only ride on roads for my own pleasure.

Before i spend X on this, i would like to get opinions. Are there people who still ride with the original rims? Have they been rebuilt? Or should I forget the idea, put them in the bin and make the adjustments to be able to ride with my 13x5' minilites? Thanks for your help.
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:30 am

to get the (probably heated debate) started here are a couple quick thoughts

imho original steel wheels in good condition are perfectly suitable to a full road experience of the elan (i.e. wearing roadworthy tires), and I use mine whenever I get a chance (they do require quite a few weights to balance). Slightly heavier repros have been produced (e.g. via Sue Miller) and are even stronger. Some signs of damaged wheels may be (but are not limited to): heavy warping like due to curb/holes hits, rust, cracks (esp. diametrally from pegs to holes), enlarged peg holes (esp. diametrally)... disclaimer : do you own dilligence to ensure your car is apt to your intended use.

keep it on the road !
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:51 am

For information my steel wheels are crack free and the holes are normal.
They are "only" warped...
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:30 am

Niklas777 wrote:For information my steel wheels are crack free and the holes are normal.
They are "only" warped...

warped by how much then ? 1mm would probably pass, maybe 2, the bottomline is would they balance or not : you need a competent and patient tire shop to do so (they would probably need to fit an adapter to properly balance KO elan wheels).
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:50 am

It's hard to tell the exact measures, but all4 of them were warped on the balance machine.

I wonder if it's worth trying to refurbish those wheels...yet that would be my favorite option to avoid any adjustment to the wishbone nut and wishbone itself...

That's such a pitty modern rim manufacturer don't propose 4 1/2 sizes anymore...
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:17 pm

The biggest issue is actually finding someone who can straighten them successfully…..
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:27 pm

Niklas777 wrote:It's hard to tell the exact measures, but all4 of them were warped on the balance machine.

I wonder if it's worth trying to refurbish those wheels...yet that would be my favorite option to avoid any adjustment to the wishbone nut and wishbone itself...

That's such a pitty modern rim manufacturer don't propose 4 1/2 sizes anymore...

did you ask Sue if she had stock left - or if there is enough interest when she might commission a new batch ?

http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/parts-wheels.html

no affiliation (just a happy customer)
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:30 pm

richardcox_lotus wrote:The biggest issue is actually finding someone who can straighten them successfully…..

indeed that can be done in some instances, but this is a delicate process (I believe there is a bit of springing over time to account for cold, yet one would not want to heat them up on a wide basis and mess with the behaviour of the steel) - some people also take out the inner portion and weld them on new rims...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:31 pm

nmauduit wrote:
Niklas777 wrote:It's hard to tell the exact measures, but all4 of them were warped on the balance machine.

did you ask Sue if she had stock left - or if there is enough interest when she might commission a new batch ?

http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/parts-wheels.html

no affiliation (just a happy customer)

Yeap, sent her an email yesterday since her website describes such wheels : http://www.mickmillerlotus.com/parts-wheels.html
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Niklas777 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:13 pm

For the moment she has no wheels left.
Some will be made but the timing is unknown.

So i'm not sure steel wheels is a viable option... :x
Niklas777
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:37 pm

I had my wheels straightened by a local wheel repair shop. He was able to straighten the lateral warp out, but the warping eventually returned. I eventually found a good set from another owner via craigslist. They are out there at times.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Jun 26, 2023 4:06 pm

FWIW, I have posted this before, but it is an interesting story and consistent with apocryphal tales about Chapman and his passion for lightness.

Apparently Lotus approached Rubery Owen (RO) to make the wheels for the Elan, but they refused as they regarded the material specified to be too thin and unsafe. It was only after Lotus increased the gauge of the steel that they agreed to manufacture the wheels. You can find RO stamped on the inside of the rim of the rivetted wheels.

Given the problems with the thicker steel wheels, I would imagine that RO were probably right.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:47 pm

I've not had a wheel crack in 290,000 miles though I'm not sure if any of the wheels are the originals; I haven't bought one since 1980 when my records start.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Tue Jun 27, 2023 9:52 am

Hi Niklas.
Sometimes a Lotus steel wheel is repairable. What you are referring to as warped may be what I would call `buckled`. It can be done.
The weak point is the part of the centre section between the ventilation holes. This is not strong enough and distortion occurs there. The thicker Sue Miller type wheels solve this problem.
I have straightened a buckled wheel where the rim is still a flat circle and the centre is also flat but not in quite the same plane as the rim.
I had two 20mm thick steel rings cut by the local Laser cutter. He put them in the corner of a much bigger job and charged me a tenner.
Cleaned up on the lathe and drilled they would now ensure that the centre section would not be damaged by the press.
The set up was on a radial arm drill with the dial gauge fixed to the chuck. The press was simply packing pieces, a lever and a large Allen screw. That Allen key is the biggest I have seen (about 20mm across flats)
We pressed the centre section down at one side ten thou` at a time, testing it for run out on the Elan which was alongside the machine.
I now do not know which of the three original wheels I have was the one we straightened. The other two are Sue Miller wheels.
It wasn`t easy but don`t say it can`t be done.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
Attachments
j2s3031h.png
j2s3031h.png (214.35 KiB) Viewed 743 times
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: