Best pads for road use?

PostPost by: alanr » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:55 pm

Robbie693 wrote:I am also thinking of ditching the Greenstuff. Seeing this thread is timely - Mintex are looking like a good option. I found this link:

https://www.mintexclassic.com/product/lotus-elan-22-pads/

I assume they now have a classic division and are the same company. There is no mention (nor on Tony Thompson's) wether the pads are for metric or imperial calipers, does anyone have a part number for the metric?

Robbie

These are not Mintex 1144 though shown on the Mintex website. These are a different Mintex classic homebrew disc pad. This lining compound is unknown to me.
Also it says '69-'72 2+2 so I am guessing they have the earlier imperial size holes for the retaining pins.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:37 pm

It should be noted that M1144 is not a part number for Elan pads, it is only a reference for the pad material. If you google M1144 you will find pictures of many shapes and sizes of brake pad, all of which are M1144

I bought a set of Mintex pads last year for my S4 from Demon Tweeks. Although I have not fitted them yet I have compared them to the pads that I removed (I also fitted Greenstuff and they're still on there for now), and they are dimensionally identical.

I have also just trial fitted them to a caliper that I have recently removed from my S3 project and they fit perfectly (and once again they match the pads that were previously fitted).

I was also looking at both the Mintex and Mintex Classic websites earlier today and can find no mention of our Elans, other than the aforementioned "69-72 2+2".

Anyway, the pads supplied by Demon Tweeks are Mintex part number MGB533M1144 and the label says M1144 Compound Triumph Ford

Please do your own research to confirm, but I am confident that Mintex MGB533M1144 is for the Elan. The Demon Tweeks website does allow you to enter vehicle details e.g. Lotus Elan 1967, and for brake pads they are one of many that are available and also notes that they are suitable for Girling 14LF calipers.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: